ControlLogix Upload

Tim

Hi
I have two control net modules 1756-CNB in the same chassis. Now, I'm a beginner at this Control Logix stuff, so bare with me. I'm wanting to go through the CNB modules to monitor ladder and data from each of the two controllers that are also on the same chassis. Now, the first one I plugged up to today is in slot 7 and I didn't have any problems other than RSLogix said there where some changes between the controler and the project I had opened. No problem. I uploaded from the controller and had the current ladder information from the corresponding 1756-L63 controller.

The second CNB I plugged up to is in slot 1. Here's the pic. Better than explaning all this stuff. I'll need to post a reply to my own post to show you what happens when I try to upload through this CNB module.

ab1.jpg

Here's what I get when trying to go through this module.
Thanks to anyone in advance who might be able to help. I'm sure its probably something stupid.

rs.jpg

Are you going online/uploading from the same controller?

What menu selections are you making to reach this point? Describe how you got to that screen. Better yet, describe from when you opened RSLogix until that point for both when it works (the "good" CNB) and when it didn't (the "bad" CNB).

It almost looks like a path issue.

OG

Hey thanks for replying.
Ok, on the CNB that worked, I put the path on the STF controller which is located in slot 6. This is the name of the controller in particular controller. It "STF" is also the name of the file that's saved on the Lap top. I had this file opened and tried to go online and it said something like there was some offline changes made and I needed to do an upload, or download. Well, I defenitly didn't want to change anything in the controller, so I figured that the file I had on the hard drive was not the current one in the controller. I did an upload and everything went fine and I saved the changes to the STF file on the hard drive.

Now, I don't know if I can remain plugged up to the CNB module and get the info off of the controller in slot 0. I then plugged my RJ45??? into the CNB module located in slot 1, "Thinking I needed to in order to get data off of the controller in slot 0" and changed my path to the name of the controller in slot 0. This path name is TSS, which is also the name of the file thats on the Lap top. I tried to go online, but you can see by my pic that it said offline changes that aren't in the controller. No problem, "I thought"...but when I try and upload, it starts and then I get what you see in the pic.
I was getting a different error than this one, but don't remember exactly what it was. There are several recent paths that I looked at that were being used by the original programmer, so I'm pretty sure their correct. Also, if you look at the pick the path says AB_PCC-1\1\Backplane\0 which is the location of the controller that I'm trying to access. Should I have stayed hooked up to the CNB in slot 7 and just changed the path to the controller in slot 0????????
Thanks,
Tim

Yeah, there is really no need to change which CNB you are using. I think that the biggest thing to watch for here is that you do not use the project's stored path, but instead, when you want to go online/upload/download select Who Active and browse through the driver untl you find the PLC that you want to talk to. This way you are not relying on whatever the path was when the last person saved the project but on what you are seeing with your own eyes. Plus you'll know if there is a problem (red "X") before you get an error message.

Now, you may know all this already so I don't mean to waste your time.

The other things to watch for could be:

Is the firmware rev the same on both PLCs and if not, does your computer have the matching software version?

Have you been able to connect to this PLC before? There could be security protecting the program (doubtful though as you have the file on your PC).

Hmm, hope any of that helps!!

OG

I have seen that also when the project I have opened is not the correct one for that PLC. Maybe close the project file first and then try to go online/upload. It should prompt you for the right project (or it may even open it for you).

OG

Operahghost,
Thanks for the info.
I'm really sure that all the firmware rev are correct. The laptop came with the press and is what they used when installing and trouble shooting any problems.

This is the first time I have tried to monitor any of the ladder and data on the AB 1756 chassis. I'm new to AB and just want to make sure I can get access to all the modules. Before the manufacturer left they gave me the laptop with all the AB software and the backup programs for all the AB. At first I hooked up to one of the CNB modules and tried to go online with no project opened up, but it prompt (sp) me to select a file. I really didn't know what file to select because there are a couple of files on the disk. I figured what file it was and proceeded to do an upload without any problems. :unsure: I still got a lot of reading to do. I was able to get online with the network and print it out,PRETTY COOL!!!! I guess I'm going to be second guessing myself before I attempt things because if I put this press down I'm in deep !@#.

Now about the Who Active. I'm familiar with this and have to double check tomorrow, but it will only let me select one path. It's something like AB PCC maybe the 1784 PCC card I have??? Let me double check that now because its been a couple of days. I'm going to be on it all day tomorrow and will get back with my findings.

I think there's something corrupted in the *.ACD file that you're trying to upload and correlate.

The clues are the "Error: Name is Invalid" and "Error: Cannot Upload Tags" errors that RSLogix 5000 generated just before the upload failed. I've seen an RSLogix 5000 *.ACD project file get corrupted if communication failed during an edit, for example.

The song-and-dance that I went through was to rebuild the project file by saving it as a *.L5K (a text-style export of the *.ACD project file) and then re-opening it with another name. I was then able to upload and go online with the controller.

There is very little risk of bringing down the system while you work with this, because the keyswitches (in your photo) are all the way in the RUN position. That won't let you edit or download to the controller.

Just to further elaborate on the path issue....

The project file on your hard drive has a set path. That path includes which driver, which CNB, and which slot in the chassis.

If you are not plugged into the correct CNB then the path will not match and you will not be able to upload or go online.

If you use the Who Active function then you are bypassing the stored project path and manually creating your own. I always prefer to do this rather than using the stored path.

OG

I will second Operaghost's recommendation. Being a bear of very little brain I have always had trouble with the online vs. saved path thing. I can never get where I want to be. I always use Who Active because, as Operaghost said, you know for sure where you are going.

Keith

I have been using the Who Active for the path and still no go. I talked to AB Tech support today and they were not sure what the problem was. I spoke with a software engineer and he thought that the L63 processor that I was trying to access might be too busy. HUH!!
The controller has a HMI hooked up to it, he thought this might be an
issue. I was told to put it in program mode and try the upload, but still no go. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?
Tim

But, if I'm not mistaken, in RSLogix Who active only works if you have the correct driver running under RSLinx.

What is the name of the controller in the offline file that you are trying to go online with? It seems that in the results window it is faulting on a name invalid. I think if the processor names don't match then you won't be able to use the offline file. Perhaps you havce selected an older version of the offline file?

grs

Chris,
Who active is working just fine. RS Logix connects to the controller just fine, it's just after the start of the upload process it takes a dump. I can select a different controller through "WHO ACTIVE" and get online with it just fine. EXCEPT THIS LAST ONE!!!!

grs,
The name of the offline file is something like TSS_1784, this may not be exact number because I'm at home now, but close to it. Now, yes the name of the online controller is just TSS and no numbers following it. If this is a problem then I can try something, but heck I've tried to making a new file named just TSS and everything, but no go.

Eddie,
I did try your solution, but I don't think I'm doing it correctly.
I saved the offline file,... "The one that I'm pretty sure is the most exact one on my hard drive" as a L5K text file. I was then lost when I read your, "re-open it with another name". I tried to reopen it and there is some kind of export you have to do, or something. Please explain more in detail and I'll try.
Thanks for all your replys,
Tim