Hsce2

hesham

Hi All
Does any one have programmed 1746-HSCE2 dor SLC 500 before.I found it cery complicated and the manual is not good enough for clearing all the issue.
For example : B3:0/0 is used in the programming example in the manual as a programming eror bit for the module is this i's default when using the module?
- All the counter blocks must be programmed or not(i meean Count rate value block for example)and what happen if i don't programm it.

-how could i intialize the module
-i move the inside jumber to the 5 Vdc position but i can't read 5 V in the module terminals (VDC out& COM)
i know this is may be alot does any one can help me?
Thx

Hi, it has been a few years since I have worked with a HSCE2 from AB. One thing I do remember is that it was more complicated to program than it really should be. AB should have a utility to program the card rather than through programming logic.

All I can tell you is to read the manual over and over. I also put the HSC initialization in a separate logic file which was called on start up. This kept the HSC initialization logic separate from the program logic so you can focus only on the initialization.

Originally posted by hesham
- All the counter blocks must be programmed or not(i meean Count rate value block for example)and what happen if i don't programm it.

You don't need to program a function you do not use. However, the example program listed in the manual is the easiest way I have seen to configure the module. This method uses indirect addressing to reference the different blocks. I suggest you send all the blocks and just fill in the manual default data in the blocks you are not concerned about.

-how could i intialize the module

I assume you mean return it to card defaults. This happens every time you power the card down. That's why you need to initialize it when the plc starts up. To the best of my knowledge the card does not maintain a configuration through power-down.

-i move the inside jumber to the 5 Vdc position but i can't read 5 V in the module terminals (VDC out& COM)

The jumper you are talking about defines the trigger voltage level for the INPUTS. So no matter where you put the jumper you will not see a voltage change on any of the card terminals. VDC OUT and COM are voltage supply terminals for the high speed digital OUTPUTS. You apply power to these terminals if you want to use the high speed outputs. If you don't want to use the outputs don't worry about these terminals.

None of the addresses in the manual example are 'defaults'. They are simply suggestions. Also keep in mind that your I/O addresses may not be the same as the manual example. The address will depend on the module location in the rack.

So, at the risk of asking the same question everyone else does, what problem are you actually having? You asked some valid questions but without knowing what the module/plc is doing it's hard to give you many ideas.

Keith

hesham:

I have done one application with an HSCE2 and it worked great once it was set up (but you already knew that).

If you go to www.ab.com and search in the knowledgebase for HSCE2 there are many documents trying to explain this beast.

Myself, I did it the good, old fashioned way and read and read the manual... then I copied one if the examples (the one that looked most like what I wanted to do) as written and held the encoder in my hand and spun the thing and watched what happend.... then I started changing things to match my application more and more.

By the end I was able to re-configure programmable limit swich settings on the fly but I couldn't remember a lick of it right now to save my life. It's complex enought that unless you use it every week it leaves the gray matter pretty quickly. Now, if you have some actual code not working as expected, I could probably help you find out why... But you really have to get your feet wet and the best way is by copying one of the examples from the manual or the knowledgebase and playing around with it.

nOrM

The last time I programmed one of these HSC2 cards I had a really hard time understanding the manual (2 inches thick) and I became pretty frustrated...fast. I spoke with a tech support guy at AB and he said a large percentage of the calls to the help desk are for this card! So don't feel like this has only happened to you! You're not alone. This card is not programmer friendly. Before I called them I selected an example from the manual then downloaded it as is. I just had that in my program... nothing else. This way you can concentrate on the HSC rather than confusing matters with the other ladder you've written. I then called AB and went over the entire data set-up with a tech. I found I was entering some data in hex rather than decimal by accident. There were also some errors in the set-up manual which the technician pointed out. Also I found that some of the techs were more familiar with the card than others so don't be shy and ask them if they have a good understanding of the card before you start going in circles.
AB should have a utility to program the card rather than through programming logic.
AB told me a wizard will possibly be available in the near future. Once I got the card running properly it was extremely accurate. It was worth the grief.

feedback

Hi all
thanks for all the feedbacks.
I read the manual over and over with no results.i got the block programming concept for the module and i do all the necessary programming for all the block the module setup block,counter configuration,min/mav value...etc also no result. finally i found that my application is exactly as example 2 in the manula i write it in my ladder in two files but it doesn't work also.
my configuration is
CPU 1747-L532E
1 slot slot HSCE2
2 Slot HSCE2
3 slot HSCE2
slots from 4 to 12 are a combiation of digital and analog modules i have know problems with them.
My HSCE2is class 4 this mean that i have 23 word in the input image (i under stand those are for status only)& 8 words in the output image for configuration.i am using mode1 of operation only two counters will be available for this modes.
I programmed data file N10 for the counter module in the slot 1as follow:
N10.0 module setup block
n10.10 counter configuration block
N10.20 min/max count value for counter 1
N10.30 min/mav count value for counter 1
N10.40 min/max rate value for counter 1
N10.50 min/max rate value for counter 2
n10.60 program range 1
N10.70 program range 8
N10.80 counter control block.
The counter types is linear,the range type is count,data format is integer.no soft preset mode
all the block parameters were reviewed more than once it seems to my that it's correct, i alawys look in the programming error bit in the input image (I1.0/13) it's "0" this means that no programming error 🔨
I tried to monitor the state of the ACK bit (I1.0/15)by letting this bit latch a B3:1/7 bit but it didn't come. mddr
if any boady could help me or find any thing wrong in the data i mentioned above it will be great .
It's my first time AB and this module (n) will make it the last one banghead

hesham-
You haven't told us what the actual problem is yet, other than it doesn't work. Some detail about the actual problem would help. The two most likely cases are that you are not making it all the way through the configuration state machine or the counter isn't counting when encoder signals are applied to the card.
You will know if you are not getting through the configuration state machine by looking at your INIT_DONE and ERROR latches (B3:0/0 and B3:0/1 respectively if you followed the manual example exactly). If you get the INIT_DONE latch you can be pretty confident the configuration is good. If you get the ERROR latch look at your state variable (N11:0 from the example). That will contain the pointer to the block AFTER the block that failed.
If you make it all the way through configuration you should be ready to enable your counters. Again, I am assuming you used the example from the manual and that N10:170 is the start of your control block. This means that N10:170 - N10:177 are being copied to O:1.0 - O:1.7.
N10:170/7 must be set to a 1.
N10:171/0 must be set to a 1 and N10:171/15 must be set to a 0.
N10:172/0 must be set to a 1 and N10:172/15 must be set to a 0.
That will enable counters 1 and 2. Everything else in the control block can be 0.
Also, since you don't use the transmit bit when you send the control block you will not get an ACK bit during normal run. You will only get the ACK bit during configuration writes.

I hope this helps some. If you are still having problems please post specific information/questions and we will see what we can come up with.

Keith

feedback

kamenges
Thanks for your reply,
Till know i didn't move my encoder and watch the count because the B3:0.0 which is the HSCE2-INIT_Done don't latched so i know that the configuration is not transfered.
I use example 2 in the manual but i didn't program all the ranges i program only two ranges so my end block is N10:80.
N11:0 is alawys zeros
i want to see bit b3:0.0 on in order to start rotating my encoder and adjust the the parameters.

trial

Hi i will try to transmit the configuration blocks to my module one by one and watch the HSCE2-INIT_Done latched in every step to find where is the problem.
First i will transfer the module setup block and the counter configuration block if ok i will add the min/max count value block to my ladder and then check that the bit is on and so on untill i transfer all the blocke is this will be ok.
Another point in example 2 in the manul he use the first pass bit(S1/15) to
1-FLL o:1.0 with zero 8 word
2-MOV 0 into the N11:0 8 word
3-MUL N11:2(word contains the number of data blocks) by 10 and put the result in N11:1.
the last step not executed i don't know why? i write 8 (no. of transfered block) into N11:2 when i am in run mode and connected on line i found N11:1 is zero even it sholud be 80 because the MUL insruction should be executed during the first pass.
Any comments about that.
Is there any thing wrong in the proceesor makes s1/15 don't go 1 for the first scan?

hesham-
Good reply. Now we know what you are seeing.
The way you make it sound you are not getting either the INIT_DONE or ERROR latches. Is this correct? If this is true it sounds like the logic isn't executing. Please don't be insulted by this, but are you SURE the rung with the first scan bit and the rung that call the initialization routine are being executed? As yoiu said, the multiply that converts N11:2 to N11:1 should be executing. I have never had a problem with the first scan bit in a SLC5. However, also keep in mind that if you change N11:2 you need a power-down or a program-to-run transition to execute that first scan rung again.

Good luck.
Keith

hesham,

You mention this is your first AB project so along Keith's line of thinking it could simply be that you are not calling the routine to do the initialization.

I can't remember the example you are using but it could be as simple as not calling a subroutine that your configuration is in.

The only program file that is automatically run is file 2. Within file 2 you need to have JSR instructions to call all the other program files.

Hopefully, this is the answer (y)

rungs

Keith
The way you make it sound you are not getting either the INIT_DONE or ERROR latches
Thats absolutly wright.
but are you SURE the rung with the first scan bit and the rung that call the initialization routine are being executed?
the only way to make sure of that is to see the multiplication result in the N11:1 and it's not happen,the rung that call the initialivation routine also depened on S1:15(XIO) in the same time i remove the transmit bit and the ACK bit from this rung it depends only on the first pass bit.this mean the intialization routine will not be executed until the first scan has ended.
I write this code in ladder file no. 4 & the intialization routine in ladder file no. 3
The instruction JSR in ladder no.4 specify (SBR file number U:3).IS this ok?
also keep in mind that if you change N11:2 you need a power-down or a program-to-run transition to execute that first scan rung again
I alawys chang the values in offline mode and then re-download the file to the plc.i tried to go run remotly from rslogic and from the key switch to ensure that the S1:15 is executed.
I will try another thing i will add a rung to let S1;15 latch any bit and look if this bit latched or not after the first pass.
Thank you very much for your attention.

S1:15

Kenith
I remember that In my ladder 2 i intialize an analog input card NI8 and RTD module NR8 with the same bit S1:15 and they are working propably this means i have no problem with the first pass . :eek:
This will drive me crazy :confused:

LAD 2

ndzied1
Does your reply mean that i should call LAD 4 from the main program(doesn't exist in may ladder now) and LAD 4 call the the initialization routine ladder 3(already exist in may ladder now)
I hope it will be so. to solve the problem.
THX

hesham,

You could probably just call the initialization routine from Ladder 2 but it must be called from somewhere the rungs in that file will not but executed.

Sounds like we're getting close... Keep us posted.

nOrM