Protool Pro logon user

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

when the operator needs to access a password protected input in Protool Pro, then a logon dialog is displayed if no operator is currently logged in.
I would like to logon an operator without having to write to a password protected variable. In short I want to trigger the same password logon dialog when the operator wants to.
But I cant make it work.
I have tried to setup a button with the function Logon_user and a string tag as parameter.
And I have tried to setup a string input field with the same string tag as parameter and the function Logon_user.

I hope that someone have tried this before.

Jesper

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you are trying to do, is this in the ball park:-

At the moment you have your various input fields password protected. When an operator wants to change the data in the input field, he presses the field and the keyboard pops up and asks him to enter his password, but of course after he has entered his password he has to re-press the input field. So what you would like to do is have a button which the operator can press at, say, the start of his shift which will log him on the HMI without waiting for when he presses an input field. Is this correct?

The way I have done this is to configure a button as protected by password level 1 (or whatever level you require). The text in the button is 'Log User On', that was the only way that I seemed to be able to get it to work. I also have a button assigned to 'Log User Off', in the functions for this button.

I tried to use the 'Logon_User' function available, but couldn't get it to work either. I must be missing something there :confused:

The way I have done it, as described above, works just fine, the operators do not notice that I have done it this way.

I leave the log out time at the default 5 minutes, on my screens, as only a few items are password protected and I wouldn't want an authorised operator to forget to log off.

Paul

Paul,

your description is exactly what I want to achieve.

I could do what you suggest, but what when someone wants to change the current operator ? Then the password protected button will not open the logon dialog.

Maybe I can put a Logoff funtion AND a write_to_a_protected_tag function on the same button. Hmmmm....

Strange though, it must be possible to make it work the "right" way. If not, why have a Logon_user function anyway ?

JesperMP said:
I could do what you suggest, but what when someone wants to change the current operator ? Then the password protected button will not open the logon dialog.

Jesper,

That is the reason why I put the 'Log User Off' button on the screen as well.

JesperMP said:
Strange though, it must be possible to make it work the "right" way. If not, why have a Logon_user function anyway ?

Yep, there must be a way, but I couldn't find it! I will admit though, for that particular project I didn't have too long to get it ready, so I didn't want to spend hours working out how to use the 'Logon_User' function, when the 'wrong' way worked just fine!

If anyone ever gets to the bottom of how to get this function to work correctly, please post their findings here, 'cause I certainly would be interested!

Paul

I have found out the following:
The only way to change the user, is to separate the password input and the Logon function. It seems not possible to do it in one go.
I have tried to "cleverly" add a Logon function to the password tag, triggered by change_value, but that only resulted in errors.

The neatest I can get is basically the same as your way:
A logon button that writes to a dummytag with a userlevel=1.
A logoff button.
I have made it a little more "pretty" by using the hide function based on the userlevel. In order to make this work i have a tag "userlevel". This gets updated by a system function:
System ... Functions ... Button Functions ..
Select the trigger Password Change and the function Write_Password_Level_to_Tag.
I also put a function Write_Username_to_Tag at this place.

YES - It works now :))

It IS possible to do like I want it:
Have an input field that writes the password to a string tag.
And the string tag logs on the user. There must be a Logon_user function on the tag with Change_value trigger.

The mistake I made before was that I had a system function Write_Password_to_Tag that wrote to the SAME string tag. It resulted in a neverending loop.