Saving paths with program

NSFW

I'm needing to find out if you can save the path with the program for RSLogix 5000. I know with omron, if you save the file you can open it, and go directly online with it without the need to click "who active" then clicking on the path needed.

My question is this - is there a way to save the file with the path? This plant has several PLC's talking to each other and you have to click the slot, address, then processer, etc. I'm trying to make a folder with shortcuts that would make things a seamless.

I've saved the file and when I try to go online with it it says "Failed to go online with the controller. RSLinx doesn't recognize the communications path. Try checking the path by browsing it in RSWho."

Have you set your project path in the browse window yet? Use the driver you'll be connecting to the controller with and click the "set program path" button in the Browse window.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. It won't automatically go online when you open the file, but you can just click the "Go Online" button and it'll use that path to connect to the processor.

I always recommend you use "Set Project Path", then save your project file. This is even more important on large systems/networks with many controllers

Get into that habit, then it is simply a case of opening (hopefully the correct) project file, then clicking "Go Online", and you will automatically connect to the correct controller.

Don't get into the habit, and you are going to have to use RSLinx's browser to "find" the target device manually, every time you want to go online, and on large plant networks that can be a real PITA, and obviously open to errors being made.

Is there a way to synchronize the RSLinx drivers between multiple users? If one person saved the path in their RSLinx as EthPlantA, and the other person saved it as Plant_A_Eth, for example, then if you are both using the same .acd file you still have to choose the path...

Is there a way to synchronize the RSLinx drivers between multiple users? If one person saved the path in their RSLinx as EthPlantA, and the other person saved it as Plant_A_Eth, for example, then if you are both using the same .acd file you still have to choose the path...

There is probably a better way to do this.. My plant automatically saves backups, so what I did was save it under the set path for my folder. Then went back and resaved with set path under the plants folder. appears to still work with me opening it from my path and if i were to save it saves on plant folder.

You can use the RSLinx backup and restore utility to create RSLinx backups.

Alternatively, you can also dig into the drivers list registry, and copy and paste the list from there to sync your stuff. This comes with it's risks. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx

Regards,
PreLC