ControlLogix Sending Text Message

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to send a text message from a Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLC to a mobile phone. I have a ControlLogix 1756-L55 (Firmware Version 16.3) and a Westermo GDW-11 GSM Modem. I downloaded some sample code (See Attached) from Rockwell website for this purpose. Only needed to change the processor from an L61 to an L55 in sample code for my test purposes. I know the code says in comments it was written for a Westermo GD01, but the AT commands should basically be the same. The code seems to work in that by toggling the 'SendText' tag it send a text, this only works for about 4 consecutive texts then on the fifth time the code stalls. The 'SendTextState' stays at 3, see rung 3 in the 'SendTextMessage' routine. It appears that the serial buffer is filling up. I've tried the GDW-11 modem with an SLC5/04 and have no problems sending lots of texts with no faults. Has anybody used this modem with a ControlLogix PLC and if so have you had similar problems.

Try sending your text message to Hyper Terminal. When you toggle the 'SendText' bit you should see the AT command and phone no. appear in Hyper Terminal. By typing '62' and pressing Enter key (modem response) the text message should then appear in Hyper Terminal. Also the 'TempStringx' tag should show the modem responses. This may be a timing or buffer size issue.

See the attached file, I got a little bored so a modified your code a little. It works with Hyper Terminal so it should work with the Modem.

Hi,
From this it looks PLC can send text message on mobile phones, is there any option that i can send a text message from my mobile phone to PLC and then decoded toenergize any output in PLC?
Thanks
Hasan

Dear,
I have used the revised code "smsmesseging1" and i am able to send the message but could not receive by using the receive code in the same programme, as the code stuck at 1st rung as shown in picture, can anyone help me out.
Thanks

pic.jpg

Jsr

I would just take a guess that you did not include a JSR in the main routine to call the new receive routine.

I have JSR in main routine to Jump, Now I am able to get 1st rung working but in second rung, ARL instruction is not activating which is due to the reason that when ABL instruction is enabled, it does not trigger FD bit which trigger second rung. Anyone having any idea what is stopping ABL instruction to raise FD bit even though EN and DN bits are rising.
Thanks

Otu

You are actually instructing the ABLctrl.FD bit to unlatch before it activates the ARL. Remove the FD unlatch or move it to after you have completed the ARL instruction.

Yes I have moved it to next rung but still ARL instruction is not activating and getting anything on serial port, I have tried to receive message on hyper terminal. Hyper terminal is receiving message but PLC is not.
It seems from ABl instruction, it is not finding any termination character.Any idea?
Thanks

I would suggest removing the IncomingCtrl.en xio in rung 2. This may be preventing this from actually processing the incoming message.

Thanks dear.
I have put (L) instruction to check .FD bit but .FD bit is not turning on.It seems it is not getting any data on PLC serial aport but with hyper terminal it is working fine. Any suggestion
Thanks,

Settings

The only thing I can suggest is that all of the settings are correct for the port. From you comment of being able to send messages it sounds like settings are correct so I am not sure at this point.