sending ASCII SICS commands Mettler Toledo moisture analyzer

DaiCLy

Hi,
I have a situation that I'm trying to resolve. I have a MT HR-83 moisture analyzer communicating via RS-232. I want to get info (moisture & weight) over to a Delta-V. But I am asking from a PLC Point-of-View (SLC..for scenario sake) how to send ASCII-based commands in ladder logic to the scale.
Just a little more background on what I am trying to achieve...reading those afore mentioned signals to DeltaV via RS-232 to Profibus (via MT Profibus converter), and ultimately going into the DeltaV backplane via the Profibus module.

Thanks,
Dai
[email protected]

Hi,

I guess you are reading thru the built in RS232 port of the SLC - Channel 0.

1. First of all set the comm parameters on both devices matching. Give more thought on the communication format/protocol of the moisture analyser. You can specify certain parameters like the termination characters etc in the Channel o configuration menu of SLC.

2. Store the commands - minus the settings done in the channel 0 configuration - in the string file

3. Use AWA [ASCII Write with Append] SLC instruction to send the string with the commands to the device.

4. Use ARD [ASCII Read] instruction to read the response from the device.

Hope this helps