Is it possible to send generic HART commands with 1794-IE8H?

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um063_-en-p.pdf
Hello. Trying to figure out if it would be possible to use 1794-IE8H in order to send generic HART commands to HART devices which conform to HART 7.2 so that it is possible to access data other than the PV.
I can see with Logix Studio that the PV is automatically mapped to the "I." tag in the controller tags, but this application I am currently doing feasibility evaluation for will require reading other variables from the HART device.
The Rockwell literature in link above explains how to send HART commands by means of MSG instructions using class ID 7D hex (the FLEX class) which supports GetAttributeSingle and SetASttributeSingle services, so it seems it is possible. But there is no example hence the document is still a bit cryptic for a HART technology-challenged guy like me. Would be grateful if someone has managed to get data other than the primary value of a HART device by means of 1794-IE8H for relatively new HART 7.2 devices. This flex IO can support up-to 8 slots, each with 8 analogue channels, so one IP address can access 64 HART field devices, hence it is one of the products I am considering. Thanks for reading.

Just realized that the 1756-IF16H/A has 16 channels and up to 16 of them can be connected to a 1756-EN2T coupler. Same question, is it possible to send generic HART commands with this product?