Having trouble with VM and Factory Talk 5.1

IhateVMsandFT

Hello all,

- Host computer has FT 7.0 and VM has FT 5.1
- Trying to open a .mer on the VM FT 5.1 with no errors when I open it.
- When I open a .mer file in the VM, I get a message saying "Computer XPVIRTUAL" does not exist in factory talk directory. Contact administrator for more information".
- When I try to go to communication setup inside of the VM I get:
"Unable to communicate with the RSLinx Enterprise server 'localhost'." -- and it kicks me out of even entering communication setup.

I have already tried Factory Talk Directory tool for both network/local inside of the VM. It says it was configured but I still get the same error messages.

I am completely lost on what to do at this point and some help would be greatly appreciated.

I happen to LOVE VMs myself. Agree on the dislike of FTView. Your post isn't very clear.

- Host computer has FT 7.0 and VM has FT 5.1

OK, but we are only discussing the FT 5.1 on the vm correct?

- Trying to open a .mer on the VM FT 5.1 with no errors when I open it.

So you don't have errors on the VM?

- When I open a .mer file in the VM, I get a message saying "Computer XPVIRTUAL" does not exist in factory talk directory. Contact administrator for more information".

But you do have errors?

- When I try to go to communication setup inside of the VM I get:
"Unable to communicate with the RSLinx Enterprise server 'localhost'." -- and it kicks me out of even entering communication setup.

What communication setup?

Crazy shot in the dark because I know FT always likes to have a network connection. Is the VM's network connection actually connected to anything? I'm guessing it could be picky because it doesn't detect an active network?

OK, but we are only discussing the FT 5.1 on the vm correct?

Yes, my whole goal here is to get this FT 5.1 working on the VM with no errors.

So you don't have errors on the VM?

I do have errors on the VM when I open a project. (Computer X does not exist in the FT Directory)

What communication setup?

Under the RSLinx Enterprise Tab in Factory Talk. When I double click it gives me the same error as above, then when I click OK it says "Unable to communicate with the RSLinx Enterprise server 'localhost'." Not able to access the normal communication screen layout at all.

Crazy shot in the dark because I know FT always likes to have a network connection. Is the VM's network connection actually connected to anything? I'm guessing it could be picky because it doesn't detect an active network?

I have thought that might be the case. My VM is not connected to an active network at the moment (and neither is my computer because I'm at my desk). I don't have an ethernet hooked up to my computer to a network so maybe it is waiting for me to do that in order for it to work...

"Computer X does not exist in the FT Directory"
Is that from Linx Enterprise? It sounds like the data server thinks it lives on a different computer. Right click RSLinx Enterprise (and any other Comms Servers), and select properties. What computer is hosting the server?
You should also check what computer the directory believes is hosting the HMI server.
Is the VM's computer name listed in the "Computers" list under system in the project tree?