M580 Modbus TCP Setup

travispedley

I have a project coming up with a M580 cpu with a NOC0301 card.
The majority of the comms will be EIP, which I'm familiar with, but I will have some devices that are Modbus TCP. I have never used modbus in 30 years of programming, so I am looking for some help getting the device setup in ControlExpert (only my 2nd project with SE). The only device I have on hand to test MTCP is a cognex barcode scanner. I know it will do EIP, but I'm trying to stay ahead of this project by learning how to setup MTCP.
Attached are pics of what I have, no matter what I've done so far, I cannot get the Freshness bit to come true, or get any data from the BCR.
My current Connection is ID(255), Read (0) Len (2), Write (0) Len 2.

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.

M580.JPG BCR.JPG

Usual Modbus Stuff

I'm about to start my first M580 project. I've done a lot of M340.

The usual Modbus admonition to try a 1 instead of a zero in the address applies. Modbus is notorious for being one register off. The PLC Class outline at corsairhmi.com has some explanation of this.

Another issue may be holding (4x) registers versus input (3x) registers. Both sides must have the same expectations for the thing to work. Input registers can be read but not written.

I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out. I tinkered with the built-in scanning features before reverting back to the READ_VAR and WRITE_VAR function blocks. Try that as a comparison, if you know the function blocks work there must be something wrong in your Modbus TCP scanning configuration.

I didn't even know there were function blocks.
I did get it to work with the scanner interface, apparently the scanner can only read/write to HoldingRegisters. Also i figured out that the scanner addressing is just the offset from 4x, you don't put in the whole 40000 address. 40001 is just 1. After i worked through those kinks, it fired up. Good to know there are some FB's i can use if all else fails with the actual equipment i'll be using. Thanks for the responses.