1734-IK Configuration

Tomo453

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, after searching the archives, I could not find a thread specifically addressing my question. I need to add a 1734-IK encoder module to a point I/O rack. While waiting for the module to arrive I decided to read the user's manual. The manual states "You must use the RSNetworx for DeviceNet software to configure your module." I previously added a 1734-VHSC5 in the same rack and configured it using Studio 5000 v30. Am I missing something or can the 1734-IK module be configured in the same manner using Studio 5000?

The user manual for that module was probably written back when it could only be connected via 1734-PDN or 1734-ADN network adapters to DeviceNet.

The POINT backplane, in fact, is just DeviceNet with a couple extra slot detection features.

With the introduction of the ControlNet and EtherNet/IP adapters for POINT I/O and the inclusion of the 1734 encoder/counter module profiles in Studio 5000, you don't need RSNetworx for DeviceNet unless you're using those old DeviceNet network adapters.

The user manual for that module was probably written back when it could only be connected via 1734-PDN or 1734-ADN network adapters to DeviceNet.

The POINT backplane, in fact, is just DeviceNet with a couple extra slot detection features.

With the introduction of the ControlNet and EtherNet/IP adapters for POINT I/O and the inclusion of the 1734 encoder/counter module profiles in Studio 5000, you don't need RSNetworx for DeviceNet unless you're using those old DeviceNet network adapters.

Thanks Ken for the Clarification. I would have to dig out an old laptop for that software. And yes the adapter is a 1734-AENTR/B.