draw line in advancedHMI

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
Archie says AdvanceHMI can do anything a simple OIT can do. OK! Without brushing up on my VB (or even with some VB), is there a way to draw a few lines on the screen?
I have a project that could probably use A..HMI, but i am reluctant to program it unless i can make the screen(s) look good. I haven't had any problem with functionality. It connects quickly to multiple PLC's simultaneously and displays data interactively - GREAT. But, since i don't know how to draw on the screen, i am stuck with using what's in the toolbox.

narlin

Archie says AdvanceHMI can do anything a simple OIT can do. OK! Without brushing up on my VB (or even with some VB), is there a way to draw a few lines on the screen?
I have a project that could probably use A..HMI, but i am reluctant to program it unless i can make the screen(s) look good. I haven't had any problem with functionality. It connects quickly to multiple PLC's simultaneously and displays data interactively - GREAT. But, since i don't know how to draw on the screen, i am stuck with using what's in the toolbox.

narlin

You mean like this line? Just draw your lines on paint and save as jpegs, then use a picture box and import lines. Use your imagination. (y)

lineExampleHMI.PNG

If the image in the picturebox is of size 1x1 pixel, then i can use the same image to draw horizontal or vertical lines. They can be sized in the VB properties box and the backcolor can be made any color. Effectively, i am just looking at the backcolor of an picturebox that has no effective image.

If using VB2010, look in the toolbox under the group Visual Basic PowerPacks. There are several shape objects you can add to the form without the need to write any code.

If using VB2010, look in the toolbox under the group Visual Basic PowerPacks. There are several shape objects you can add to the form without the need to write any code.

Archie I could never get it to work on visual studio 2010, even after build the components don't appear at all.

Drawing lines using the power pack works fine. The only problem I had was the line and the background were the same colour so I had to change the line colour in the line properties so that the line could be seen

I will have to upgrade to 2010. That should be no issue since i have to install some version of VB onto a new computer anyway.
Where are the directions for making an exe file from the VB? I have done this before, but it has been several years. I am pretty sure that my user is not going to want to have VB on their computer, or to even know that it exists.

Where are the directions for making an exe file from the VB? I have done this before, but it has been several years. I am pretty sure that my user is not going to want to have VB on their computer, or to even know that it exists.
The exe file is created anytime you run the program or perform a build from the menu (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+B). The exe is located in the \bin\Debug directory. A practice I recommend is to copy the complete project on the target computer and create a shortcut to the exe file. That ensures the next person that comes along can copy the original source for making edits from the target PC.

I recommend to copy the complete project on the target computer and create a shortcut to the exe file. That ensures the next person that comes along can copy the original source for making edits from the target PC.

That sounds good. PC storage is so big now that the target computer can accommodate VB comfortably and someone in the future (probably me!) will actually be able to find the source files.