FactoryTalk view studio ME Data Logging question

joshua.brown

I am currently using a FactoryTalk program to log data and display a trend on one of my machines. I have it all working, the question i have is if it is possible to tell the log when to capture data and when to ignore it, or if there is a way to sort the log file once viewing it on a pc. My process takes around 40 seconds on average, and i only want 7 seconds of it logged, but the 7 seconds is not in a constant part of the process, so i do not believe i can get the log on value change to work.
If yall got any tips or questions let me know!🍺

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by that. I am fairly new to this. I have tried using the "on change" setting, but that setting has a lower read rate and I'm not quite sure i fully understand how it works. My tag has a range from 0 to 1600 and during a 7 second process that jumps around, those 7 seconds are what i want to capture. If I use the "on change" setting, is it possible to get it to do what I want?

Thanks for the help!

I am currently using a FactoryTalk program to log data and display a trend on one of my machines. I have it all working, the question i have is if it is possible to tell the log when to capture data and when to ignore it, or if there is a way to sort the log file once viewing it on a pc. My process takes around 40 seconds on average, and i only want 7 seconds of it logged, but the 7 seconds is not in a constant part of the process, so i do not believe i can get the log on value change to work.
If yall got any tips or questions let me know!🍺

I am afraid you will not be able to accomplish this task using exclusively the FTV application; FactoryTalk Data Logging is pretty crude and cumbersome.

The best approach would be to define the logging interval within the PLC application; create several tags (to be logged within the HMI application) and 'synchronize' them with the data tags when the 7 seconds interval starts up; 'zero' the tags when the 7 seconds elapse.

These tags will be FTV data-logged 'On Change' with '0' Change percentage(continuous recording).

it sounds like you want to capture variable time frames. why not create logic in PLC to determine when to trigger data log.

edit: what dmargineau said.

Last edited:
Yeah that was what I was starting to think, there is just no way for it to work with this. The PLC does it wonderfully, but with the HMI it looks like there is no easy way for it to work.

dmargineau i believe you are saying just to have this tags as a signal for when its happened, which would work, I just dont want a whole long stream of data where only the occasional 7 seconds is relevant. If there was a way to use those signals to only capture the 7 seconds then it would be great.

Thanks for all the help, I'm afraid there is just no way this will work the way I am hoping.:cry:

Yeah that was what I was starting to think, there is just no way for it to work with this. The PLC does it wonderfully, but with the HMI it looks like there is no easy way for it to work.

dmargineau i believe you are saying just to have this tags as a signal for when its happened, which would work, I just dont want a whole long stream of data where only the occasional 7 seconds is relevant. If there was a way to use those signals to only capture the 7 seconds then it would be great.

Thanks for all the help, I'm afraid there is just no way this will work the way I am hoping.:cry:

Well...You could still record only relevant data...

Set your 'Change percentage' to something like 1%; since you are 'zeroing' the tags outside the 7 seconds window Data Logging will run only when the tags are non-zero, obviously when 'inside' the 7 seconds interval...This will be the most efficient way of logging.

Okay so my tag usually floats around 7-8, but because that is < 1% of 1600 then it will only read when the values are above that? That should work!

1% would be 1% of the (Max Value - Min Value) as defined within the Data Logging Tag Editor.

If you 'zero' the tags outside the 7 second window set the Data Logging tag's Min Value to '0' thus just 1% variation of the Max Value will trigger the logging.

Or set the Min Value to '7' or '8' then anything above that will be logged with a 'Change percentage' of 0.01.

Last edited:
okay, another silly question, where do you set the tags max and min value? the data log model has the spot to select tags, but i do not see where you would set a max a min value for it.

Only if you are using HMI Tags when data logging the Min-Max math applies; for Logix5000 tags you just need to choose 'On Change'; no percentage is needed (this will require the zeroing outside the 7 seconds window though!)

Last edited: