Studio 5000 Emulate and FactoryTalk

LimeyJohn

I am running Studio 5000 v32 on a virtual machine. I have successfully built an emulator, downloaded code and ran it no problem.

I am now trying to create a FactoryTalk application. I created this via Studio 5000, and all looks okay. I open the communications for the FactoryTalk Linx node, and add the devices under the Backplane node (same as how it was configured when running the emulator). I then create the shortcut called PLC, select the processor and "Apply".

I open a graphic, create a button, go to Connections, and only System is there. I hit Refresh, but the PLC shortcut is not appearing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The "Backplane" used in FactoryTalk Linx is for Rockwell's Logix 5000 Emulate software package or their SoftLogix product. You said you have built an emulator. How does your computer connect to the emulator?

It might also be helpful to know, in FactoryTalk View Studio, are we talking about Machine Edition or Site Edition?

OG

Thanks for getting back to me. I used Studio 5000 Emulate for emulation, so connected via backplane.

And using Machine Edition for FT. Thanks.

Refresh/Refresh All is usually enough to get your tags to show up. When looking at the Emulate chassis does the controller have any flashing lights?

What slot is the controller in. What slot is Linx showing up in? Does RSLinx also appear in the chassis?

Have you rebooted your machine since you tried this? Maybe Linx just needed to restart to wake up.

OG

Hi OG,

Apologies for delayed response - message ended up in spam folder. Was able to rectify situation by selecting "Apply" then "OK" to creating the shortcut. Apply is not enough, as I found out the hard way. Thanks again,

John