Cheapest Codesys PLC

who cares how, learn it today finish your task, document it somewhere so you may find it later and forget it. On with the show.

Oh yeah, I spend a decent amount of time here and at the reddit r/PLC subreddit reading and helping where I can.

Heck I even released a short document here detailing how to set E300 devicenet modules into E3 emulation mode because AB's documentation is junk and wrong. If I forget, I'll always have that document.

I'm just a fan of learning with too much disposable income. :confused:

Last edited:
Ii came across this today and it looks interesting, but is just too basic for my liking. This guy give a better introduction to the hardware he may have software videos too, do search to find out.

Those are both excellent dogs!

@geniusintraining

My company has bought your AB 485 cables before, works great!

I also bought a 750-842 off of ebay, they're really cheap!

Last edited:
for Wago's I have found the 750-842 a good CPU, has built in Ethernet and serial

You can also use the Demo software from WAGO, its a full version and works great, the only thing it does not do is save the program to the eprom so you will loose the program every time you cycle power, not a big deal if you are just using it for learning

The 750-842 is old school, it will run CoDeSys v2 only. I would not recommend that anymore these days. If one wants to get their feet wet in CoDeSys, by all means use CoDeSys v3 (or one of the several OEM flavours of v3 e.g. e!****pit from Wago, Twincat 3 from Beckhoff, etc). Cheapest Wago controllers that can be programmed with codesys v3 are the PFC100 controllers, like 750-8100. The PFC200 series controllers are more powerful.

As mentioned, Codesys can run your programs simulated in the programming environment. Only specific hardware related aspects will not work (e.g. serial communication).

Just about the cheapest hardware platform to run your Codesys programs is a Raspberry PI with codesys runtime. Free version runs up to 2 hours then needs a reboot. Paid version does not cost much and runs as long as power is provided. Note that it was created for education purposes!

I have several Beckhoff CX at home which I bought on ebay fairly cheap ($200 to $400?), since I was using it a lot at work. One is a CX2100, their top DIN-rail processor at the time. At least one has the NC license, which should support hopes to turn my milling machine into a servo-drive CNC. I have a lot of time since my company abandoned my city and laid most off, including me, once I finish home projects backlog, then looking at consulting since all interviews have gone nowhere (over-qualified and/or age discrimination). As mentioned, you can get into Beckhoff (CodeSys based) for free, and using their hardware emulator is no different than real hardware, unless you want to see lamps flash and things move.

As mentioned before but want to reiterate, you can get into Vanilla Codesys for free as well, you can run internal logic in the simulator for as long as you want. If want to try working with external communications such as to a Remote IO module or something you will need a runtime, but you can install the Win x64 runtime and run it in 2 hour increments for free, which is what I do for debug and testing now. Once we transition more to codesys I will feel more justified in buying a Win x64 license just for my dev machine.