Sort of OT: Eurotherm 2404 temperature control

Hi everybody!

I'm hoping someone else has run into this, and can provide some insight. Not entirely off-topic, since many times these interface to a PLC, and that is specifically to my question:

We had an ancient Eurotherm 2404 that went bad, and when we removed it, the plastic crumbled like a cracker. This old unit had the High Current Relay option in the Module 4 position (terminal 5, go figure).

Anyhow, the good news - we were able to get a new Eurotherm 2404. The bad news - they discontinued that relay module years and years ago.

The relay module was never used for power-related purposes, it was just used as an extra output signal to the PLC, so any output module would do. What I cannot seem to find is if any output module would work though? Can I put a different output module in place of the old HCR unit, or will that fry the whole thing?

Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks!

TM

Have you tried contacting the manufaacturer with your problem? My experience has been that they have support staff who will assist with the integration of their hardware especially with legacy issue like you have. Without knowing your circuitry, it's difficult to make any solid suggestions. I'd guess this new unit outputs 24v DC. If your integrating to a PLC , run it through an interposing relay.

Those units were quite modular as I remember. You SHOULD be able to use the card if the new firmware is still configured to use it. Eurotherm support has been good to work with in the past. I have not had to contact them in years, though. I support ValeoBill's recommendation to call them.