I2C / Micro830 communications

udtwmc

Hi,

Anyone know if it's possible for an Allen bradley Micro830 controller to read/write to an I2C device?

are there function blocks available in 'connected components workbench' and/or would it involve advanced programming knowledge?

what hardware would be needed?

is it not possible at all?

Thanks

Never seen a PLC that could do I2C, since it is a protocol/interface made for inter-device comms in the same PCB, its made to cross over distances of centimetres, not meters, or even more like some people abuse it with bus drivers.

And a PLC doesn't have a fast enough scan time to even bit-bang it.

Might be a better idea to have a local device that talks at least over serial to the i2c sensor.

There is no I2C bus accessible to the user on any of the Micro 800 series controllers.

In general, comms with another microcontroller would be done with RS-232 or RS-485 serial, probably using Modbus RTU protocol.

I2C to PLC

I've got a Raspberry PI solution that can work in lots of cases - depending on how complicated the I2C side is.

PM me if you are interested.