Step5 output card fault

rob28

Hi all, newbie here.

I'm trying to get an old Siemens Step 5 test rig up and running for my apprentice to have a play with, however the output card is giving a strange fault.

The card in question is a 6ES5-451-4UA13 digital output card. When the front cable connection part is plugged onto the front of the card, it pulls the 24V down to approx 2V. If I remove the link between terminals 2 & 21 (0V), the power supply is now OK & the PLC will run a program but not give any outputs.

I've tried a spare card, tested for shorts & tried linking the 0V to terminla 12 instead of 21 but still the output card won't give an output. Addressing must be OK as it's quite happy to run the program & think it's giving an output.

All outputs are LED's. These are currently unplugged via a D plug so these are out of the equation.

Any help greatfully received.
Rob

rob28 said:
I've tried a spare card,
Rob

Rob did you try another output card?, can you try a input card?, if its a short in the backplane then you "may" be ok with a input card just change the config of the PLC

Yes, I've tried another DO card in the same slot on the chassis and I've also tried the card in another slot on the chassis with no avail. :(

Rob,

Terminals 1 & 2 (F+/F-) are the 'enable outputs' input, you should only have 24V on these if the 'Enable Jumper' (accessible from the top of the module) is inserted.

Try removing this jumper and disconnect terminals 1 & 2.

Kevin H