Starting Emulator (Crimson 3.0)

ais

From trial and error, the only way I can run the crimson 3.0 emulator on my windoze 7 laptop is by clicking the following 2 sequences :

1. Link > Options > Configure > Delete files > Yes > Ok > Ok

2. Link > Verify > Ok (to pop-up).

Any other sequence is hit and miss. The above works every time.

To test any changes, I have to shut down the emulator, make the changes, then run the 2 above sequences again.

I am sure I must be doing something worng or I need to tweak my setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Also is there a way to run the emulator, and make changes "live" without having to shut down before testing the changes.

TIA.

Anyone from Redlion care to respond?

FWIW I have read the limited notes/instructions in the manual.

That's about what I have to do. The Emulator crashes or hangs pretty much every time I run it.

Because it's just a convenience tool, I don't mind going through the steps. But like you, I'd like to see it run smoothly.

Is there a way to automate the steps?

Even if just adding some items to the toolbar.

For example by adding "Delete Files" (saves 3 clicks) and "Verify" (saves 1 click) to the toolbar, would be very useful.

Anybody tried this?

I have been able to use keyboard shortcuts to interrupt the download when I see any message except "Opening Transport Layer". So, ESC or Enter to abort, then F9 or Shift+F9, repeat. When I see "Opening Transport Layer", I know it is going to work and I let it finish.

Also, if inside a virtual PC using XP Mode, I found I have to attach the USB device twice to successfully download to a real G3 through the USB on the host.

My method around the buggy emulator download ends up being up to ten seconds of delay, and several keystrokes, but rarely do I ever have to delete the offline files. If the emulated G3 freezes I may delete the offline files to recover, but this is pretty rare.

These emulator problems have been around for me for a long time, but have been fewer and fewer up until Build 502.

I backed off to the previous build until I need to use a K2.

Last edited:
I just started having problems with the emulator during the last build or so. Running Win 7 x64 w/ a WinXP VM.

Seems like I have to abort and restart the emulator until works.

I was told Crimson 3 will work on Windows 7 64 bit, but the emulator is not designed to. I think it will work on 32 bit Win 7, and I know it's supposed to work the best on XP. I've found it works OK on an XP virtual machine running under VMWare Player (which is free) and VMWare Workstation.

I have had more problems with the builds greater than 500. If you don't need to support the Kadet 2 series, I suggest sticking with 493.005. I have an XPMode I need to clone again with XPMore, and set it up for the later versions. I still have not succeeded in talking from the emulator through the virtual ports to devices on the network. The 2nd virtual port does not show up in the dialog box for the emulator Network option using XPMode.

We really, really need a Windows 7 64-bit version of the emulator.

And, I think I will have to ask IT for an XP Licence and go with VMWare in order to support multiple virtual development machines more handily. Are you able to get the emulator to communicate with real PLCs briding through your virtual machine in VMWare?

The emulator is more sensitive to program errors than a real unit. When a code problem is encountered you may be required to clear the emulator cache image.

Currently the emulator is only support on a 32 bit OS and I don't know if or when that will change.

Also worth noting is that we don't officially support our software being run on a VM platform.