You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old June 9th, 2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Malador
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

iFix Migration question(s)

Whats the best way to move iFix from a Server2008R2 machine to windows 10? The hardware is identical on both machines. Both are running iFix5.8

I thought it was as simple as installing iFix on the new computer and moving the PDB, PIC, and Local folder. But i get a black screen when i start ifix. I also can't accesses security in the SCU. Same windows user name on new/old machine.

Should I have used the backup/restore utility? I'd give it a try, but i won't be on the site with the current server for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Malador; June 9th, 2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added info
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:24 AM   #2
harryting
United States

I done a few of these lately. You are doing the right steps, as far as I can remember. Even GE doesn't recommend using the Backup/Restore for upgrading.

I think it's security that's messing you up. I do remember something about disable security on the old machine then do the copy and paste.
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:42 AM   #3
harryting
United States

Ok, I found some old notes. First, you need 5.8 SP2 per here:

https://digitalsupport.ge.com/en_US/...FIX32-and-iFIX

2nd, from my notes, you can probably skip over some of these:

*create a new SCU from scratch, take note from the old SCU file.

-. on existing system, disable security in SCU.
-. Report out security to Security.RPT - under file-Export and copy it
- re-enable security on existing system.
- on new machine, import the security file in the new SCU. Enable security.
Old June 10th, 2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Malador
United States

Thanks! I wonít be to get on the server for at least another week, but itís super helpful to have a plan.
Old June 10th, 2021, 01:53 PM   #5
I_Automation
United States

Not just iFix, but for other also, I have put VMWare Converter on the server PC, make a VM clone & put it on an USB hard drive.

On the Win10 PC put VMWare player {free}, copy the Server VM to the hard drive, open Player & locate Server VM. When it opens MAKE SURE you select you MOVED the VM and it will open. {If you select COPIED IT Player will create a new VM based on it & you may lose licensing}

Keep an archive of the VM on your network server for any future need to replace.

Also, in the VM make sure the iFix dongle{s} are attached to the VM & not the host PC.
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:49 AM   #6
Malador
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Automation View Post
Not just iFix, but for other also, I have put VMWare Converter on the server PC, make a VM clone & put it on an USB hard drive.

On the Win10 PC put VMWare player {free}, copy the Server VM to the hard drive, open Player & locate Server VM. When it opens MAKE SURE you select you MOVED the VM and it will open. {If you select COPIED IT Player will create a new VM based on it & you may lose licensing}

Keep an archive of the VM on your network server for any future need to replace.

Also, in the VM make sure the iFix dongle{s} are attached to the VM & not the host PC.

Thanks for the tip. In the past I've used imaging/back up software to install a sever copy on a VM, but Rockwell licenses sometimes get messed up. This sounds much easier!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum