Barcodes : Scanners vs Image Cameras

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
Who has experience with barcode applications & the differences / merits between a conventional scanner vs an image camera type.?

We have a project where the label orientation is not guaranteed, so may have to add a second scanner in master/slave configuration or consist an image camera.

Looking forward to the different thoughts & experiences/opinions

The difference in detecting barcodes between a barcode scanner and a normal camera is a lot.

The scanner is faster, it can detect codes at a greater distance, in any position, if it's a hand detector then it has a laser pointer that helps the operator a lot and has more configuration options, such as reducing or increasing the vision field, mostly if you buy a quality one like Zebra or Honeywell.

At my work there is a Zebra detector that detects small codes at more than 2m away.

Hi,
Who has experience with barcode applications & the differences / merits between a conventional scanner vs an image camera type.?

We have a project where the label orientation is not guaranteed, so may have to add a second scanner in master/slave configuration or consist an image camera.

Looking forward to the different thoughts & experiences/opinions

Hi, good morning! We're using a Matrox camera in an application that reads barcodes for an assembly process (automotive). Apparently the OEM has had great success with this. This same process also uses quite a few hand-held BC scanners for error-proofing. Both are easy to configure and have had almost zero problems here in our shop as far as missing a read. Like your operation, the label orientation is almost never the same. We're also configuring a collaborative robot with a camera and a torque tool (nutrunner) and that works well. Hope this helps.

Cameras are best for high speed application and difficult barcodes that cant be read by line scanners.

You can also had cameras to a line scanner configuration, this would be networked together, then one scanner will act as the master and output a string to a plc or whatever device you have.

Then you have sides, top, bottom, front, and back read. So your talking about a lot of scanners or cameras to read a label. I would quote it for all sides, customer will balk at it and then they will guarantee a placement of label to minimize placement.

Sick, Datalogic, and Keyence have a pretty robust lines. Depends on who offers support in area. I thought Keyence had a new development in scanners that was very easy to setup .

Make sure the scan company provides the stand since you have no experience with mounting. Scanner companies offer customer support, installation services, and onsite commissioning. This would be the easy route if you have lack of experience in this situation.

Thanks!
Something that one vendor mentioned was based on our label sample, to use a camera a wider field of view is required.
The other vendor said no problem...