You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 1st, 2021, 02:09 PM   #1
id10t_error
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Virtual Machines From Rockwell! Finally. Or out of the loop...

While on the Rockwell website, I stumbled across a Rockwell virtual machine 9528-EWSLICENE. Everyone probably knows about this as I'm out of the loop most of the time.

See the attached PDF for more info, and does anyone know if they have a machine builders VM or integration VM?... legacy windows XP with Rockwell software would be cool, but we have our own.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf proces-pp009_-en-p.pdf (1,012.7 KB, 78 views)
"We make the solutions up out of modules, so they're all standard, ... They're built for security, reliability, ease of expansion and ease of changing. They're the ideas we had many years ago that tend to get lost today." -Ken Olsen co-founded Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC)
Old April 1st, 2021, 02:21 PM   #2
Ken Moore
United States

Those have been around for several years now. If you are going to deploy VM's at a customer site, you can order the VM's, much faster than installing all the software manually. Just add licenses.
Old April 8th, 2021, 06:39 AM   #3
Phil Buchanan
United States

But beware these cost about $1600.00 USD each. Now they are an investment you can use for multiple projects but still.

They would be really nice if they were free.
Electrical License Prep Training
Motor Controls Training

http://www.KeyAutomationTraining.com
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:57 AM   #4
VAN
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buchanan View Post
But beware these cost about $1600.00 USD each. Now they are an investment you can use for multiple projects but still.

They would be really nice if they were free.
What else comes with it?

Their is no way I would pay that much for just a virtual machine. Setting up a VM is like an hour (or day depending) experience. (I recommend everyone to setup a VM from scratch so you understand what is required and that it's super easy.)
Old April 8th, 2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Phil Buchanan
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN View Post
What else comes with it?

Their is no way I would pay that much for just a virtual machine. Setting up a VM is like an hour (or day depending) experience. (I recommend everyone to setup a VM from scratch so you understand what is required and that it's super easy.)
Thatís all it comes with is the VMís on Physical Media. Itís a nice setup and good for a large plant pax rollout it saves lots of time and sets a standard but itís still way to expensive for what it is IMHO.

Itís really hard to justify on anything except the largest projects.
Electrical License Prep Training
Motor Controls Training

http://www.KeyAutomationTraining.com
Old April 9th, 2021, 09:21 AM   #6
PreLC
United States

If you go to Studio5k V33's "Additional downloads" section(This shows up when selecting what all to download) you can download an image with all V20-33 Logix pre-installed for free, given you own S5k. This does not have a windows license, so you'll have to furnish one, and also the logix licenses. But saves on install times and windows setup times.

I have been able to extract the VHD from their VM, and use it with hyper-V. It works well.
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:20 AM   #7
cardosocea
United Kingdom

The only thing to be mindful of are the languages... installing everything from scratch was pretty painless but using these and a different language with PlantPAX threw me off.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum