best laptop w/ windows 7 pro

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
It's laptop buying time again.

Mainly, because I want to get one before I can no longer get one w/ Windows 7 Pro.

What in your opinion is the best out there:
quickest, good touchpad, under $2k?

Please don't make this a debate about the OS, as most of you all should know, the plc and hmi software etc determine this.

It depends on what is important to you.
I use the Dell 'M' series which have all the horsepower of a desktop, but the battery life on them is terrible because they use a quad core I7 CPU and have a 17" screen.

remember the Dell Inspiron where it had to slots for batteries and you could hot swap them? that would be cool.

Also, over all satisfaction w/ your laptop.
I am currently using a Samsung I7-2675QM w/ 2.2GHz cpu and 6 gigs of ram, but the touchpad is absolutely horrible, and the Samsung driver updates were horrible.

Dell XPS 15" or the Dell m3800. Both are powerful, sleek and smaller than what I have recommended in the past.

I currently have the Dell m4800 and would love to downsize. Prior to that had the Dell m6700 (freakin' beast).

The XPS and m3800 are at a point where SSD and 16GB of RAM are easy to get in a small package with a good price point. Plus they are straight up ***y!

EDIT: OS is a non-issue, VMs FTW!

I suggest finding one with a native com port if you intend to connect to older PLC hardware. Sometimes USB-Serial adapters are not compatible (ie. it needs COM1 or COM2).

A suggestion on what to avoid..........

Our group uses the Dell Latitude "E" series. I have the E6530. It seems like we are constantly getting laptops repaired. My Ethernet port died a month or so ago. We had always had good luck with Dell, but I would steer clear of that model line.

If you buy a PC direct from Microsoft, it is crapware free. I would also consider a touchscreen. I really miss it when I move from my Surface Pro 4 back to my work laptop.

OG

We used to be all Dell Latitude (their coroporate line) now we are all Lenovo Thinkpad. ThinkPad T series are very good. IMO. There's enough USB ports (4) and very solidly built for our line of work.

I second the Lenovo recommendation.

We are now using the Lenovo ThinkPad T540p's.

I spec them with Win7 Pro, i7 quad core processor, 16GB ram and a 128GB SSD. I then order the SATA HDD caddy accessory and replace the DVD-RW with a 500GB SSD for running all the programming VM's.

Very solidly built laptops and blazingly fast with both OS and VM's running off SSD's. This build comes to just shy of $3K here in AUD so I'm guessing it will be under $2K over there.

At the risk of being accused of sacrilege, I'm going to suggest a macbook pro? Seeing as you'll (presumably) be running VM's for all your software anyway, the hardware doesn't make a lot of difference. My company has 3 of them and they're super powerful, killer battery life, amazing display and trackpad, and I've never had any issues with running Windows VM's and doing things in a PC world. We spec 13", 16GB ram and at least 512GB SSD (latest one was 1TB SSD), it's a bit more than $2k here but we pay the Australia Premium for everything with an apple logo on it here so you might get it in under $2k there.

HP ZBook G2 17".
Will hold 2 hard drives 3 if you want to take the cd drive out also supports pcie m.2 ssd
Plenty of horse power, have no problems running 2 vms at a time but the battery life is horrible and they can be pricey think I spent $3200

Jeez ASF. I'm not sure I could take any programmer using a Macbook seriously. 🍺

I get that a lot. But then when I've started two VM's and am online with the PLC before their host has booted up, they tend to quiet down. And when they're tethered to a power outlet after an hour and I'm still going on battery after 6-8 hours, the longing glances start :whistle: