Factory Talk View ME - Close pop up and open new one how?

antsrealm

Hi,

I have several goto page buttons that bring up small popups on the screen. I would like to be able to have an open popup automatically close if another goto button is pressed while an existing popup is open.

Can this be done?

I can't modify the code on the PLC so this has to be done in factory talk view itself.

Thanks,

I misread that. Experiment with the "startup" macro on the popups display settings. You may be able to have the macro there to close the other popups.

Hi,

I have several goto page buttons that bring up small popups on the screen. I would like to be able to have an open popup automatically close if another goto button is pressed while an existing popup is open.

Can this be done?

I can't modify the code on the PLC so this has to be done in factory talk view itself.

Thanks,

On each Popup Window's startup action, hide all the other windows.

Go to "Global Connections" under the "System" folder. From there, take a look at the "Display" tab, in particular the "Remote Display Number", "Close an On Top Display" and the "Close All On Top Displays" connections. Read the help file for this tab. This will give you the backbone for what we're going to do. You will need to add either PLC or HMI tags to these connections. Each display you work with will need an unique display number.

Under the "Logic and Control" folder in the Explorer right-click on the "Macros" heading and then "New". This will open the Macro editor. Under the "Tag" heading put the tag name in that you assigned to the "Close All On Top Displays" connection. Put "1" under the expression. This will close all of your open "On Top" displays. In the second row put your tag for "Remote Display Number". Assign this the value of the display number of the screen you are trying to open. Press OK and save the macro with a relevant name.

We now need to make sure that we reset the "Close All On Top Displays" and "Remote Display Number" tags so that the HMI will continue to function and allow screen changes. Make a new macro and set the tags you are using for those two connections to "0". Press OK and save the macro as your "Shutdown" macro.

Go to your test pop up screen. Under display settings, set the "Shutdown" macro to your second, shutdown macro. This should reset the tags that you are using above to zero and allow the HMI to continue functioning and allow subsequent screen changes.

Now that you have tags and macros for this try creating a "Macro" button: "Objects" --> "Advanced" --> Macro. This will be the button that loads your popups (not a "Goto Display" button anymore). Configure this button to run your macro.

When pressed, the button should launch your first screen change macro. This should close all of the "On Top" screens and then load your new screen after that. Hopefully :)

Test.

I haven't tried this exact method myself (I would typically use the PLC to reset variables) and it may not function depending on timing of screens opening. If this method doesn't function properly it could reset in your HMI being unable to change screens. I'd recommend that you create numeric entries for the HMI tags listed above on your test screens so that you can view and reset them easily.

Yup. What keshik says is the only way to close and open displays with one button click in FTView ME.

Under the "Logic and Control" folder in the Explorer right-click on the "Macros" heading and then "New". This will open the Macro editor. Under the "Tag" heading put the tag name in that you assigned to the "Close All On Top Displays" connection. Put "1" under the expression. This will close all of your open "On Top" displays. In the second row put your tag for "Remote Display Number". Assign this the value of the display number of the screen you are trying to open. Press OK and save the macro with a relevant name.

Make sure you use HMI memory tags there.
Although the macro lines are listed 1, 2, 3...etc. they are not guaranteed to run in that order. The only thing you can be certain of is that the first 50 lines in the macro will execute before the next set of 50 lines (if your macro had 51+ lines).
With HMI memory tags the macro "should" run the lines in order (ie. there is nothing to hold up line1 from running, such as comms to the PLC).

We now need to make sure that we reset the "Close All On Top Displays" and "Remote Display Number" tags so that the HMI will continue to function and allow screen changes. Make a new macro and set the tags you are using for those two connections to "0". Press OK and save the macro as your "Shutdown" macro.

Go to your test pop up screen. Under display settings, set the "Shutdown" macro to your second, shutdown macro. This should reset the tags that you are using above to zero and allow the HMI to continue functioning and allow subsequent screen changes.
The timing may not work out; but try it.
Another way is to create the exact same macro, but put it into the "Startup" macro setting of each Popup display (under display settings).

Let us know how it works out

Last edited:
Although the macro lines are listed 1, 2, 3...etc. they are not guaranteed to run in that order. The only thing you can be certain of is that the first 50 lines in the macro will execute before the next set of 50 lines (if your macro had 51+ lines).
With HMI memory tags the macro "should" run the lines in order (ie. there is nothing to hold up line1 from running, such as comms to the PLC).

I did not know about the 50 line precedence thing. Good to know. Where did you learn this? I don't see it in the help files.

Another way is to create the exact same macro, but put it into the "Startup" macro setting of each Popup display (under display settings).

I like the idea of using it as a "Startup" macro better. Good idea.

This whole thing is an experiment with race conditions :)

I did not know about the 50 line precedence thing. Good to know. Where did you learn this? I don't see it in the help files.
QUOTE]
You learn this by first having problems with macros (PLC tags) and then testing it out a lot of different ways.

It's not in the help files. Maybe the latest version does it different, but I doubt it.

You learn this by first having problems with macros (PLC tags) and then testing it out a lot of different ways.

It's not in the help files. Maybe the latest version does it different, but I doubt it.

Even better information then. Must've been a fun afternoon.