Panel design

Originally posted by Gerry M:
...It might make for some nice light reading over the Christmas Holiday
Yawn.gif
Yeah right!!! I'll more likely be doing some of this. beerchug

Me too! It's a great coping strategy when out-of-town relatives invade. Here's me in about two days:
Xmas-Crazy.gif

Holiday?? What Holiday?? It's our busiest time of the year..Schools, & production facilities etc.. are out and want their work done..DURING THE HOLIDAYS!!!

Enjoy your Eggnog and spiced rum.. I'll be at work!

Holiday?? What Holiday?? It's our busiest time of the year..

Sorry, wasn't trying to rub it in. It was always that way for me too, up until just a few years ago. I love my job, but have also learned to treasure every Saturday and Holiday I don't have to work.

I know I'm 🤷 but...

Once during the busiest time of the year (between July 4 and Thanksgiving), payroll had the nerve to put a message at the bottom of our paychecks that said, "Have a nice weekend". We had worked nine consecutive Saturdays along with other OT. I made a xerox copy, blacked out the dollars and other sensitive information, and wrote on it, "WHAT ARE WEEKENDS??" bonkhead and sent it back to them. I doubt if it made any sense to them, but I got a little bit of satisfaction from it.

CB

I feel guilty!!! I get the 24 and 25 DEC new years eve and new years day. Though I have no idea of what to do with that much time off. I usually only get one day a week

Don't Try This at Home!...

Eric Nelson said:
93lt1 said:
That was a Mythbusters episode. Eric might have posted a clip of that episode over at Ron's site.

I had that episode at one time, but it never made it Ron's. Next time it lands on my harddrive I'll be sure to make it available, as it WAS a very 'on-topic' experiment. Amazing how well the bullet "snapped right in there"... :oops:
Guess what just re-aired on TV recently... ;)

http://www.patchn.com/files/ericn/videos/bulletfuse.wmv

Running Time 08:50 ; ~ 23Mb

🍻

-Eric

Does anybody know if the "Mythbusters" have done any experiments on cell phones igniting gas? I'd definately be interested in that, I'm always arguing that cellphones cannot ignite gas at a gas station in normal usage parameters and all the other techs talk about how they read it on the internet that it is a hazard.

They did do a show on it one time. More or less came out to be that cell phones really didn't do it (but they said there is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance for it to happen). The biggest culprit is static electricty from sliding out of your car/truck.

Voltimus said:
Does anybody know if the "Mythbusters" have done any experiments on cell phones igniting gas? I'd definately be interested in that, I'm always arguing that cellphones cannot ignite gas at a gas station in normal usage parameters and all the other techs talk about how they read it on the internet that it is a hazard.

One of the news channels in my area did a report on this last year. The conclusions were that under no circumstances would a cellphone (through normal use) be able to ignite the gas fumes coming out of the tank. Now if you dropped it hard enough and it had a metal case that could cause a spark on impact...well.

You are going to light yourself up "Flame On!" by sliding in and out of the cab while fueling though. The static built up is enough to ignite the gas fumes.

Gas station story:

When I was in high school, like many, I did a stint as a gas jockey...

So one night this guy pulls up and fills some cans for his boat. Spills about 4 gals all over the drive, pays and drives off. The next guy pulls up and gets out of his car with a lit smoke. My partner runs out and yells NO SMOKING...So the guy tossing the smoke down and steps on it. Right in the gas puddle. This guy was blessed with incredable luck as it didnt light up the island, (just a small flash as he stepped on it). But he very shortly noticed his error and just about had a stroke. So he comes in to pay and I asked if he wanted some cigarettes also. He told me he just quit. (this guy bought cigs every visit before, but none after that night).

30 years later I still know the guy I was working with that night and we still both tell the tale of "almost".

Actually the burning temperature of a cigarette is lower than the flash point of gasoline. You cannot start a fire with a burning cigarette - even if you hold it in the fumes. I watched my dad and brother fill our tractors with gas every day for over ten years with a lit cigarette hanging from their lips about 6" over the spout. This anecdotal evidence was later confirmed by a fire marshall.

On the other hand, a lit match or a lighter can certainly create some exciting moments - hence the prohibition on smoking. You just can't expect people to obey a "no lighting" rule!

I can't prove it, but I would be amazed if a cell phone had enough energy to ignite gasoline. Now, a loose electrical connection, particularly if the rascal is using the "cigarette lighter" charging plug in, could well have enough energy in a spark to set off fumes. I think this is another of those "we aren't sure so why take a chance" deals.