MODBUS what is it?

Alot of guys use it to refer to serial communications in general. I have a hard time with that because I also know it as a protocol from Modicon.

David

As you've been told, Modbus is a protocol, originally developed by Modicon and released to the public domain.

There is actually a family of Modbus protocols now. The original public domain Modbus is technically Modbus RTU. It has several variants, ASCII and Hex, for example. When the term "Modbus" is used without modifier Modbus RTU is what is meant. It is a master/slave architecture, and is probably the most widely used communications protocol, and most PLC and HMI brands will support Modbus. It is used widely to connect devices from many different manufacturers.

There is also Modbus Plus, which is a peer to peer protocol and still proprietary for Modicon. There is also Modbus over ethernet, which is widely used.

BoxerBrats said:
OK feeling stupid here, I keep seeing the term MODBUS, and clueless exactly what is, and used for.

If anyone can tell me in laymans terms thanks
hi as per my practicle sense modbus is a prtocol of communication used for communicating plc with scada

deat Tom
i like to know how to communicate simatic manager do modbus slave driver has significance in communication?

gaju01 said:
deat Tom
i like to know how to communicate simatic manager do modbus slave driver has significance in communication?

I have not used Modbus with Siemens so I can't be much help, but I think that it can be done. I suggest you contact your local supplier for Siemens and get the answer as it relates to your specific hardware and software configuration.