Microligix 1500 counter

kenlr

Hey

Im new to programming plcs, and here is what Im tring to do

I have a bagging system for a fine powder, I want to count a numbr of bags, and at a set number of baggs I want to energize an output to a sampler. (I want to take a sample of every 500 bags)

What Im not sure of is how to set up the counter to count a certain input, the energize a cartain output when the count is reached

If some one has a basic counter program I could look at that would be a big help

Thanks in advance

Using an SLC see attached pdf

The Input i have ised is a standard 24vdc input

Its a very basic 2 rung program to give you an idea, you could tie a proximity sensor to that input ?

It depends on the speed of your bags passing the input to the plc really.........

Like i said this will give you an idea

Its on Logix 500 on an SLC

edit: looks like i was beaten to it !

ok I loaded the little two rung counter program, On the bench, and it counts ok, but when it reaches the prste value it does not drive the output, or rest,

an I missing something

Thanks

What is the two rung program you put in?

The sample posted by 504Bloke will turn the output on for a single scan because the counter is immeidately reset. If you used that sample then that is why you are not seeing the output, its on for probably less than a millisecond.

You need to seperate the counter reset logic from the output rung.

Have a look at the other example as well.

Just click on the link counter.zip. When WinXP asks if you want to open or download the file, just click open. A zip file is just a compressed folder that contains other files. When the folder opens then you will see the file Counter.RSS. You can double click it to open it with Logix-500. When Logix 500 says its a read-only file, just click OK.

EDIT:
Here, just in case you have difficulty opening mgvol's file, and/or so someone else without RSLogix can see it, I converted it to a PDF and attached it.

(The oneshot at B3/0 is not really necessary as the counter DN bit will be clear when the timer is next scanned, thereby resetting the timer DN bit)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I had to use rslinx to view the file

Im out of here for the day, but ill be back tom.

Thanks again for the Help

We don't know how fast you're filling bags, so there's one minor addition I'd add to Alaric's solution. I'd add a latch to the second rung, and reset the counter immediately, to avoid missing counts.

🍻

-Eric

Kenlr in the first post mentioned that this was for sampling after X number of bags. The counter is counting full bags completed not the product itself. The output would probably divert the product flow for a certain amount of time into whatever is receiving the sample. After this time the product (he mentioned a fine powder) would presumably go back into filling bags. The counter would be reset and then, when the next bag is completed, count to 1.