Wonderware update times

vtfan

I'm having trouble with a WW application (7.1) not updating the $TimeString tag. It's updating every five seconds.

I know this is not a PLC issue, but I'm sure there are many brains here that work on WW.

I have checked the system clock on the bottom start bar and it updates properly. I have checked the sytem CPU usage and it's under 2%.

Any ideas?

I haven't tested to see if this works, but here's something you can try:

From the WindowMaker menu bar, click Special->Configure->WindowViewer

You will see a option for Time/Timer Control, with an 'Update for Time Variables'.

WindowViewerProperties.gif

-Trevor

Yeah, I saw that too. I ajusted the timer controls, put the update interval at 100ms and 250ms and it didn't help.

As I dig in more, it appears that the entire tag database is updating every 5 seconds, not just the $timestring.

I put the $time tag in and have the same results. I have not tested a true I/O point, that would be unusual for a real I/O point to update faster than a system tag.

Wow, that is slooowwww! What other apps do you have running and what OS and PC specs? If you look at the task manager, what does the performance say?

Dave:

The only Apps running on this machine are:

Wonderware Intouch 7.1
WWRSLINX Driver
RSLinx (ABKT card driver)

That's it. There is some ODBC stuff going on in the background, but that has never caused a problem before.

System Perf shows 0 - 1% on the graph, processes show 99% idle time. That's the first place I looked.

This machine is a backup node to a primary machine. Once tested, it's going in the closet for a rainy day. Both machines are on the network with different Node names. I would have concerns about that if the real I/O were the problem, but the problem appears to be the entire tag database, not just the real I/O.

Just throwing out anything I can think of that might be non-standard on this.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat, I would check out the scripts that may be running for this app. I've seen long For loop scripts that would basically freeze the app until it completes. The same with SQL statements. Some SQL statements perform a search in a large database and also causes the app to freeze.
Another thing you might try is to delete the *wvw and *avl files and have view regenerate them.

Dave:

I like your idea of cleaning up the files and I'm sure there is a mess of stuff there.

This machine is an exact copy of an existing app in operation, all scripts and etc.. are exactly the same. There are no issues with the original machine.

If I had it to do over, I would have ghoast the original hard drive and been done, however I loaded from scratch mainly to get a feel for any specialized stuff in the application.

Wish I would have just ghoasted the thing and been done with it now.

I will try cleaning up the files and see how that goes. That's the best suggestion I have heard yet.

Thanks,

Pat

Dave:

Beleive it or not but I just got back to this subject.

Deleting those files worked. I did that in the past, but I never gave it a thought on this problem. I mostly work wit iFix now and not much Wonderware.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to have this one off my back. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Pat