Any Modicon Panelmate Plus experts?

Dr. Watson

I'm new to the modicon world here and I'm having some issues with backing up some panelmates. Here's the specs:
I'm using panelmate power pro software to upload programs from cuttler-hammer panelmate pros and have had no problems...I also have some Modicon panelmate plus' which is where my proiblem is. The first one I tried simply failed the upload. The 2nd one I tried got to about 90% done and then failed.
Is panelmate power pro the correct software for the modicon plus models?
Is it possible the issue is in the units themselves (this is some pretty old equipment here)?
TIA

I think there were some special 'features' added to the Modicon version. I'm sure if the 'features' were in the executable file that runs on the PanelMate or in the hardware.

For confirmation we can hope that Sliver sees this post and responds. I know he has a lot of experience with both the C-H and the Modicon versions of the product. My experience is pretty much limited to the C-H version.

What is the version number of the firmware in the Modicon units? There may be some compatibility issues between the newer software and the older units. You might try reducing the baud rate of the transfer.

Thanks for the response. I finally got ahold of someone and he pretty much confirmed my fear...most likely its a software revision problem. I'd imagine the file would convert to the new version if I opened it, unfortunately the only copy resides in the panelmate :sad:. I guess I'll try to find an older version.

Try contacting your local Cutler-Hammer distributor. If they carry the product line, they should be able to get an older version of the software. If they can't help you directly, they might be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

You could also try to find a Modicon distributor who handled the branded version.

You can download the converter that will change your Modicon branded Panelmates to Cutler-Hammer clones. Gives you all the advanced features available. I have found no downside to doing it on 20 odd modicon panelmates and all new and old hardware are now compatible with the configuration software and executive firmaware versions.
Stay tuned and I'll try to find the website, but check your configuration software CD for a convert file and read the Read.me files.

Brian.

edit: CC, You wrote your own? You clever fella!

The Eaton/IDT PanelMate brand lable agreement included firmware that prevented one company's (i.e. Cutler Hammer) software from working with a different (i.e. Modicon) screen.

Jim, are you saying it is not ethical to convert? I wasn't sure that Modicon still supported Panelmates hardware or software so we changed everything in '92 so that we could use the upgraded software.

The notes I have found are as follows

"Panelmate Power Pro Panelmate Transfer Utility for OEM conversions"

C-H tech support for pmate 1-800-809-2772 key 5 then 5
existing panelmate+ modicon panelmates have code built in
convert to Panelmate power pro cutler-hammer removes code

convert target unit

option bits

check company ID to C-H

Dr. Watson, If my notes make more sense to you than to me, there you are.

CC, You wrote your own? You clever fella!

I wrote converter long time ago, that time it was not available from C-H.

C-H converter does not convert it back to Modicon and we had Modicon units at the customer locations.

Last edited:
I am saying the reason why a conversion needs to be done.

As I recall the incompatibility was forced by Eaton/IDT not necessarily the OEM like Modicon.

Last edited:
To summarize, it sounds like you will need a copy of the Modicon branded software to get the configuration file from the Modicon branded PanelMate. Once you have it, you can run it through Contr Conn's converter so it can be edited with C-H's software and downloaded to non-Modicon PanelMate units.

There were a couple of options for backing up configuration files without the need for the configuration software.

One was the transfer utility which was available for free. All you needed was a cable. Connect the cable, put the PM into transfer mode, and run the transfer utility. Don't know if there was one version for Modicon and one for all others.

The other was the configuration storage module. That was a standalone unit that plugged right into the port and transferred the configuration from the PM to the CSM or from the CSM to the PM. Again, I don't know whetjer there was a different unit for Modicon PMs.

To summarize, it sounds like you will need a copy of the Modicon branded software to get the configuration file from the Modicon branded PanelMate. Once you have it, you can run it through Contr Conn's converter so it can be edited with C-H's software and downloaded to non-Modicon PanelMate units.

There were a couple of options for backing up configuration files without the need for the configuration software.

One was the transfer utility which was available for free. All you needed was a cable. Connect the cable, put the PM into transfer mode, and run the transfer utility. Don't know if there was one version for Modicon and one for all others.

The other was the configuration storage module. That was a standalone unit that plugged right into the port and transferred the configuration from the PM to the CSM or from the CSM to the PM. Again, I don't know whether there was a different unit for Modicon PMs.

The panel mate plus is the 10 page unit? Or am i thinking of the panelmate 2 series..If its the one that uses the old dos software i have that kicking around somewhere..i was going to say CH tech support converted some for me but tha wont help you becouse you dont have the file..:(..Let me know if you nee the old dos software and i will see if i can dig it up..

Wow...excellent information here, guys...thanks alot! To update, I was able to get the file to transfer by selecting the "2000/3000" (.pc1 & .pc2) file type in the destination. All of these older ones are .pc2. I can also dump it back in...I just can't import it to edit or modify it. I'm basically just backing things up right now before a scheduled shut down, so converting it isn't crucial right now, but I will try to download that exe that Contr Conn wrote. I assume that is a one-way conversion, right...from Modicon th CH, but not vice-versa? Any compatibility issues I can expect if I convert the programs and try to dl them to a 10-year old unit?