Slc 500

jypower5

I am new in PLC.
I bought SLC500(1747-L40c) unit in e-bay.
When I powered up CPU light blinks all the time and I cannot communicate to my PC(I am using 1747-pic Ser. A).
Is this meant bad CPU?
Or manual says clean up the memory in CPU(?) and set to factory default, could anyone tell me how to set the CPU in factory default
except remove battery with AC power down.

As far as I know 1747-pic requires 24VDC from controller but when I checked voltage pin 3,4 or 7,8 0VDC show up in my multi-meter.

What is the pattern of the blinking light? I know on the 5/01 to 5/05 depending on what flashes and how it flashes it'll help to track the fault type.

I'm assuming this is for at home. Is it possible to get a known good unit and try the comms on that. Depending on your os (win98,2000,xp) the comms with the pic can be a real problem due to the os owning the comm port.

Drewcrew6

Reply to DrewCrew6

I am using XP.
LED blinks about twice per second.
my com port 1 settint:
AB PIC/AIC+PORT(COM 1)

19200 baud rate, 8Databit, Parity none, Stop bit 1, Floe control none.

In drive diagnostic(general tab).
Packet send and recieve working O.K.

--------------------------------------------------------
On the RSLinx lite:
Workstation, My home pc
|-----Linx Gateways, Ethernet
|-----AB_PCI,DH-485
|---00, Workstation, rsi-picw2k
Above is how my RSLinxLite Screen looks like.

SLC 500

This problem happened to me before . First open up RSlinx and double click on AB-PIC, DH-485 if you see SLC 500 without red cross on it then communication with slc 500 processor exists now close RSlinx .
Second open up rslogix and create a new file now you have to choose the processor type you mentioned and create only one rung (you are in off line mode) verify that there is no error and download it into processor once downloaded go on line I can not remember exactly if the blinking led turns off or will change to steady state . Let me know the result and good luck.

Last edited:
Additional info

My RSLinx ver. 2.31.00

I only see

|-----AB_PCI,DH-485
|---00, Workstation, rsi-picw2k
above. I do not see SLC controller.

I think my problem is 1747-PIC does not get any power(suppose to be 24VDC).

Any sugestion?

slc 500

Hi jypower5

In RSlinx when you open configure driver is your 1747-pic dh-485 is running or not if is running then there is no communication with your processor check the cable to your com 1 port if not running then change to different port or delete it and re-configure it.
I have used 1747-pic module and I have had no problem with it but make sure the cable from pic module to com port is ok and not open circuited.

PIC, not PICNIC

You may need to upgrade yor RSLinks to v2.4 for it to work with XP.

Another thing to try, just for jollies, is to reconfigure your PIC driver to station #14, rather than #0. Typically, programmers use Nodes 'O' or '1' for their PLCs, and you may be have conflicting node addresses.

And you are using a real, 9-pin serial port, right, not a USB-to-serial converter? Search this site for 'PIC ' and you should get some more good tips on connecting.

Question to Allen

I tried PIC station to #14 and does not working.
Which OS do u recomend? (WIN 98, NT, WIN2000)
Does'nt PIC module need some kind of power to properl operation?
I thought this power getting from controller? Correct me if I am wrong.
I am using real 9 pin DB not USB.
I think my computer cannot see the PIC module I tried about three different kind of serial cable w/ 25 pin to 9 pin converter.

This is answer to PERSPOPLIS I am using desk top computer.

Thanks for all u guys responce.

I suggest looking at:
http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...A5DD9BC43D357F0D85256B1B00689174?OpenDocument

http://domino.automation.rockwell.c...F6315921381C164E85256AFB006EE6EC?OpenDocument

It seems that the proper cable is the 1747-C10, I have a PIC that I can use with a L40D I have, I will verify the cable tomorrow.

Data Highway 485 (DH485) Communication Cables:
1747-C10/C11/C13/C20 CABLE PINOUT & CONNECTOR PART NUMBERS

P1 COLOR FUNCTION P2

1 RED CH. B TX/RC 1 TOP
2 BLACK CH. A TX/RC 2
3 BROWN +24 VDC 3 **
4 WHITE SIGNAL GND 4
5 BLUE TX-EN 5
6 DRAIN EARTH GND 6 **
7 GREEN SIGNAL GND 7
8 ORANGE +24 VDC 8 BOTTOM

This is a straight through cable.
These cables have only been tested at the 1ft, 6ft and 20ft length
Longer lengths "WILL NOT" be supported by Allen-Bradley.

Last edited: