Westinghouse Numalogic PC700 (Reframing)

Dave_Halme

Hi, we are trying to test a Westinghouse Numalogic PC700 PLC. We have the controller with the I/O cards. We also have a Mini Loader NLPL-789.

When the PLC and the loader are powered up the message displayed is "Ready". When we push the buttons on the Mini Loader, the loader displays "Reframing". It does not come out of this state.

The Mini Loader plugs into the "Program Loader" D shell connection on the PLC. Below the "Program Loader" port is a 25 Pin D-shell connection. This connector is empty, nothing connected. Do we have to build some type of terminator to connect to this empty connection?

If not, any ideas on how to get this thing to accept some commands from the Mini Loader? Or any ideas on how to get past the "Reframing" message?

Best regards,
Dave

Hi there, I wanted to try to give this a bump. I'm having trouble finding Westinghouse tech support. I think maybe ATS purchased this division of Westinghouse. Any idea on where to get tech support on this system?

Thanks so much,
Dave

I can take a picture of this system if anyone wants to see it. I'm visual and I know sometimes a picture jogs my memory. I'm not sure how to actually set up a link and how to host a picture for people to click and view but I can email it no problem. I know this PLC is very old.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Your in for a tough haul with this one. Westinghouse wasnt a major force in the PLC market, and it's really really old by PLC-time standards. You might get some support from a PLC repair shop like PLCcenter.com.

hello,

I was searching for something and hit a link to this question.

since I did not see an answer, though I might provide one.

There is no special "plugs, dongles, or other things" required.

there are two rs-232 ports, both of which do the same thing (assuming your unit has the 2 port option). In any case, if the unit is working it should talk thru at least one of the ports.

The "resync" msg, is telling you that it is trying to establish communications (and apparently is unable to do so). normal default was 9600,8,n,1, but it can be changed on both the PC and the mini-loader.

would suggest you check with scope in order to see if either end is actually sending anything and if so at what speed/format (while "resyning" it will send out one byte, wait a while, then send out another, wait a while for a reply, etc.).

ATS took over the servicing of the Westinghouse stuff

http://advancedtech.com/arccms/legacy-list-frame.html

Programmable Logic Controllers

Westinghouse Numa-Logic PC-700 Numa-Logic PC-900 Numa-Logic PC-1000 Numa-Logic PC-1200 Numa-Logic HPPC

The Numa-Logic PLC family was originally designed by Westinghouse, acquired by Eaton Cutler Hammer in 1993, and then sold to ATS in 2000. Numa-Logic PLCs are small, microprocessor-based controllers designed for a wide variety of industrial control applications.

Curt,

Do you work for ATS?, do you have any links with the manuals? there are few people that ask about them from time to time, do know where they can get the software? NL-784?

BTW, I could not open your link...

I do not work for ATS, and never have. I am self employed, but do have a lot of experience with the Westinghouse product line (both design and useage).

As for manuals, since I wrote draft copies of some of the items in the manual, I have kept one orginal paper copy of most of the stuff, but I have none in electronic format. I think manuals may have been done on old Wang system (pre-IBM PC days).

Would suggest ATS as the only place that may still have any "offical" copies of Manuals and Software (NLSW-782, 784, 786, et.al) that you might be able to purchase (and any electronic format stuff)

As for link, not sure, icopied it from address bar today (using mozilla),so not sure what might be wrong. might try just the root address, i.e. http://advancedtech.com

Thanks for the info... if I see anyone asking about them (numa logic) I will point them this way, or ATS

Numa-Logic Info

I too have most of the old Westinghouse Numa-Logic manuals if someone needs something. I've scanned and copied some to http://pps2.com/communications/799.php, including the somewhat rare NCMZ-799, NCMZ-1799, NCMZ-798, discussion on the serial port program loader protocols (to interface into SCADA) and the Numa-Logic NL-300 card logic information.

Not all of the manuals are out there now, but I'll scan, convert to PDF and post additional content as time permits.

dgl, Thanks for scanned numalogic documents. I may be writing an OPC server for HPPC 1500, so will definitely come in handy.