Check online connection with Protool/Win CC Flexible.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I know for sure that there is a FAQ on Siemens support site that covers how to check the online connection between Protool/Win CC Flexible and S7. I saw it once and thought that maybe I could use it later. And now when I want to try it out I just cannot find it.o_O *#¤&%§ &%¤ØƧå ....
I tried any combination of "Protool", "online", "alarm", "offline", "S7", "scrip" to no avail.

It was about having to make a script that constantly compares the HMI time and the S7 time, and if the difference is too great then an alarm bit will be triggered.

Does anybody know where that FAQ is ??

I dont know where the FAQ is but isent it enought to use a script and check if a bit is true? Trig a Scheduler every minute and execute a script that checks if a bit is true in the plc. If its true then set an alarm if its false then set the bit and exit the script. In the plc just reset the bit if its high. If you want to check in the plc if the hmi is running then there is a lifebit in coordination area that toogles when the hmi is running.

It was about having to make a script that constantly compares the HMI time and the S7 time, and if the difference is too great then an alarm bit will be triggered.

May I ask a stupid question? Why the PLC and HMI runs a different time? If you syncronize clocks (PLCs and HMI) then you don't have to compare times and set different alarm if the time deviation is too big. Like I said, just an stupid question?? ;)

What I want to do is to test the connection from the HMI.
If the connection is bad a prominent "SYSTEM OFFLINE" message must be displayed until the connection is OK again.
There is a system message from the HMI that appears when it goes offline, but it disappears automatically.
I also do not want to set all system messages to have to be acknowledged, that would be a pain in the behind.

Bratt, as far as I can see, to monitor "life bits" from the HMI would require some kind of timer in the HMI, and that is not possible, only in the PLC.

[FIN]PETE, I dont want to check the difference of the PLC and HMI system time. It is the method to determine that the HMI is offline.

You have the Scheduler in the panel it can be triggred to execute a task after a certain amount of time the lowest time is every minute. But you can also "tie back" the life bit from the panel and execute a script on value change to get faster response if the plc is only set to stop. If the plc program is completly reset then the every minute check will report after a maximun of 2 minutes. I made an example project to show you what i mean.

Pete, I ask stupid questions every day, only way to get smarter ;)

Bratt, I will try your solution, thanks :)

I see that your idea has the difference/advantage that it informs of the PLC is in STOP or the HMI is OFFLINE.
The solution i the FAQ from Siemens only determines if the HMI is offline (because the clock keeps running even if the PLC is in stop).