Is wireless AB DH+ or RIO possible?

wildswing

I have a SLC 5/04 that's off in it's own. It's connected to a PLC5 via 1/2 dozen or so hardwired discretes. It works ok but I would like to expand the interface between the two. Making the SLC a RIO drop or a node on our plant wide programming DH+ would seem the most resonable method, but running blue hose may be a problem. The SLC is on a mobile cart that uses a festoon cable system. I'm just wondering if setting up a wireless RIO or DH+ connection would be easier than installing new festoon cable.

UPDATE: Sorry, I already asked this question once before. DOH! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a wireless solution.

Last edited:
I've asked the same question to my Telemechanique and AB rep and both have said that wireless access is a technology that they are working on but do not really have a commercial offering just yet. They are looking at Bluetooth, 802.11x from what they said...

I expect this technology will be available very soon... my chief concerns would be whether the transceiver/antenna system would survive in the harsh environments that PLCs are usually in and the effects of various types of interferance on the interlink. If there is even the remote possibility that a stray transmission could take out vital systems then I would probably stick to a wired solution.

-nR

Something else I thought of would be to put a laptop or desktop system on the cart with you which you would connect to the PLC via a serial interface. The laptop/desktop could be connected to the rest of the network via wireless and you could then just remote desktop out to it to monitor/make changes.

just a thought... I was thinking of trying something similar but haven't gotten around to it yet. The concept is sound, though, I think.

-nR