Anyone using radar level on solids(pulverized iron ore/slag)

Sliver

I've been asked to try out an Endress & Hauser MicropilotM radar level transducer in a bin. We call the material iron, but it is a mix of low grade iron ore and slag milled to about the consistency of gravel.
Reading the Fabulous Manual (RTFM) I am realizing that it is designed for "liquids,pastes and sludge"
Apparently the salesperson convinced someone upstairs that it would work on solids.
The manual states that a liquid with a low dielectric constant could allow the radar to penetrate the material and reflect of the bin bottom.
As far as I can research my material on the internet it has a very low dielectric constant.

Currently my reading is bouncing between 0 and 25% on a 20' bin with about 5' of material in it.

I guess I need someone to say, "Heck yeah, we got one working in a solids application and it works dandy!" for me to keep pursuing this.

Anyone?

Brian.

For a radar the rule operates: the corner of falling is equal to a corner of reflection.
If the corner of falling is more than 5 degrees the signal can not return to a radar.

For Ultrasonic is not difference water or iron.

I've used Siemens radars and ultrasonics. They have different models for different useage.

The Siemens LR-400 radar works really well on yellow hot lime nodules, the size of a childs fist; also works well and on powdered cement (incredibly dusty) that forms an angle of repose in the silo.

Their LR-300 radar is specifically for liquids though, not for solids.

I'd ask E&H if they have a different model for your iron nodules.

Radar has done better in dusty places than ultrasonic. How dusty is the filling operation?

Dan

Problems with definition of a level not liquid materials

levelmeterjs6.gif

I suspected that the angle was critical as the probe is shown in the manual to be mounted exactly veritical. So the angles that make up the edges of my product are deflecting the pulse more than 5 degrees. A perfect stealth shape, invisible to radar.
The measurements were taken during the withdrawing operation which is not dusty at all. When they filled the bin, I assume it is quite dusty, the reading was all over the place and then when it was full, using existing high level switch, the reading became stable. Then as the level started to drop again the reading became erratic. Like you show in your diagram, EKBist it probably has to do with the angle of the material in filling, full, emptying conditions. I will call E&H with this finding.

Thanks

Brian.