AVG EZ Automation Question

AEI Service

The company I work for is upgrading a machine that has a TSX Nano PLC. They are considering a system from AVG. They want to add a touch screen and like the modular design. Since I know very little about PLC’s am asking for some input on the AVG unit quality, reliability, and ease of programming?

Also is there an easy way to convert the program from the Nano?
I have the software to down load it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't like to bash any company... they all have their down falls and good points

But I have not heard many good about EZ Automation, I would look at others, from the support side if you want to stay cheap, its hard to beat Automation Direct

This is just my input or output :)

I have more than 50 of the EZ Touch panels in service and have found them to be very reliable. Actually, the first batch were purchased from AD before the C-More was introduced.

I tried out the CE panels at one time since they have some really cool features but ended up sending them back since they constantly locked up.

The HMI part of the AVG offering is fine - we've purchased them through AutomatinDirect.com had good success. I tried the integral PLC and was not impressed. Programming was OK, but downloading was awkward. I also thought the I/O wiring was very cheezy and not up to industrial standards.

Same here. Go with Automation Direct (AD). Search this site for more comments on AD and AVG.

A PLC has a microprocessor. The MPU is chosen for a dedicated task, mainly I/O.
An HMI has a MPU too. It's main job is to run the display and handle keyboard (touchscreen) I/O. It's actually a single board PC. That makes it easy because the display and keyboard stuff is done. All they need is fast booting firmware and they're done.

Somebody at AVG got the bright idea that the PC could also handle I/O, and then they thought it would be wonderful if they just hung everything off the back of the HMI. It's a bad idea for many reasons. Wiring nightmare is one.

I think AVG should stay with what they do best - HMI's. They are excellent units. I love the software and graphics.

My best results have been with AD PLCs, and AVG or Maple HMIs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

But if purchasing decides to try it anyway is there any way to convert the program from the Nano to run on the AVG. or is it a start from the beginning project?

Start from the beginning. This is true any time you change brands.
Tell purchasing that they will only save about $100.00 to $200.00, and the increased labor in wiring will quickly offset that. Next is maintenance. How can you get at it? Are you going to try to hinge your display? Good luck with that big harness.

Last edited:
I have only recently started using the C-More panels and I am very pleased with them. If your project is recipe based, then these panels will make it easier. The recipe function is great, and they have a Ethernet IP driver that interface perfectly with any AB ETH/IP processor / module.