RSsql vs xcoupler

ttichy

We have our first project where the process will be driven from a business database (MSSQL). My initial instinct/direction was to go with RSSql (now FT Transaction Manager), but then I came across the xCoupler (plugs directly into the Controllogix and communicates with a DB).
I was wondering if anybody has used this xCoupler thing and if it was as seamless and outright exhilarating to use as their website (www.oldi.com/tj) would make me believe.

Thanks

I tried out the xCoupler while we were searching around for alternatives (hint) to RSSql/FT Trans. manager, and it is indeed pretty awesome. Unfortunately it is also pretty expensive. I was quoted around 10k for one in September '07. It will definitely be worth it if you need to do fast logging, since it plugs directly into the backplane, but for what I do it was overkill.

To me, RSSql is a pain to configure, even if you know it well. I also have issues where after starting it, it does not recognize triggers for a couple minutes. I also had HUGE problems on a larger scale project (around 12,000) tags using KepServer. It would constanly fail and stop responding to the PLC, and it was not KepServer's fault. Rockwell support couldn't fix it. If you do go RSSql, I would recommend using RSLinx for your OPC server, since Rockwell should work best with Rockwell. RSSql can also only talk to 1 database at a time, which is a problem for me on a different project. Bi-directional communication apart from transaction handshakes is also pretty much impossible without stored procedures.

You might also want to look into FactorySQL from IA - http://inductiveautomation.com. I like their product the best out of the transaction managers I've tried, and hey, it happens to be the cheapest as well. And none of this tag count licencing. It can also talk to as many databases as you want. Bi-directional communication is a breeze. Still have to buy an external OPC server, though.

Hope that helps!

-pandersen

Last edited:
I had a pretty good experience with RSSql. I am not in favor of having so many enterprise components located at the PLC rack level if possible. (Sometimes there is no place for a PC so you have to.) I prefer to have the IT/DB personnel handle most of this stuff.

I would consider using RSSql and check to see if the DB guys can provide "stored procedures". It's a more object oriented approach and the stored procedures can perform data validation etc. Plus if major changes are required at the DB level the stored procedure can be left alone eliminating the need to re-connect all of the points. RSSql works well with this type of setup. It's a good idea to provide spare data in the stored procedure and use return codes for troubleshooting.

If it's a C'logix PLC:

PLC.UDT.Element>>RSSQL.DataPoint>>DB.StoredProcedure>>DB.Table
And vise versa

Have fun, this kind of work is really cool.

I was going to recommend FactorySQL as well. You can download and install a fully functional (2 hour runtime at once) trial.

I've been meaning to put together a "drag, drop, and log" video on how to set up SQL data logging. I'll post a link when I get it up.

XCoupler

I'm currently using an XCoupler.
It is being used for bidirectional comms from a ControlLogix (L63) to our MES Server (SQL).
We have heavy mistake proofing..."Bin Pick Lights"..."Light Curtains"..."Vision Systems" on our factory floor (Assembly).
I have used Wonderware, Kepware, RsView and looked at Rascal. If I had to build another system, I would start with an XCoupler and work from there.
The up front cost may seem high but consider buying, then setting up a server. Once you've done that, you would still have a lot of code (procedures) to write not to mention IT pushes and security issues. You also have to consider how long it takes to get a server and code up and running compared to installing an XCoupler.
I have to put a plug in for OLDI's service dept as well. They will help you get it up and running in no time.
Good luck...
ABJD

xCoupler Is Worth a Try

I needed to exchange process data with a database and had problems before with bridging software. I saw the xCoupler and wasn't sure it was the right solution but they offered a free trial. Gave it a shot. What I liked was automatic recognition of Controllogix tags and DB tables on start up. Just dragged the tags into the tables and made triggers for activation. No programming is involved, it does it by itself. Much faster and more accurate than programming a bridge. (y)

I have used the xCoupler to connect to an AS/400 database and it has worked great. There would have been quite a bit of custom coding that would have had to occur and middleware installed otherwise. There is not a great deal of help from IT here to get things from shop floor so it was a very robust and simple solution for my application. One of the features of the xCoupler that has been useful here as well is the Store and Forward capabilitity. Our AS/400 server has been down for maintenance, while the xCoupler continued to store transactions and forwarded them to the database later.

As for ease of use, it is just as simple as the website shows.

Thanks to all again. I will really have to take a look at the xCoupler. Although maybe to truly appreciate it I need to do it the hard way first...Right!