This is the opposite af a PM. Try it some time.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Recently, I have experienced a surge in PMs. It is so much that I have to regularly empty my inbox in odrer to make space.
What bugs me is that the PM'ers (if you can call them that) use the feature to try and get "premium service" from me, rather than anything else.
I suggest that if people have a technical problem, then post in the regular forum. Many more people can help, and many more people can gain from the information. And I will most often see the thread an will help if I can. So no need for PM's.

I think that PM's should only be used for personal information. Information that is sensitive (like the exchange of email addresses), or information that is really private.

OK, I just needed to vent the pressure.

If Phil reads this:
Would it be possible to have a custom messagebox displayed when someone starts to write a PM ?

Try using 'invisible mode' for a while...it'll prevent people spotting your username in the current users list and PM'ing you for real-time support.

Peter Nachtwey said:
Are most about how to program a S7?
40% are about S7, including Profibus configurations.
30% are about HMI in various flavours.
20% are about things where I have no particular knowledge - I dont know why they single me out for a PM - maybe they send to others too.
10% are really personal.

I dont know how configuable this forum is, but could the PM page be altered slightly and add some text similar too:-

"This PM facility is designed for a private message only. If you are requesting help then it may be better to continue (or start a new) thread to assist other readers/users!"

I've been using the "cloak of invisibility" for years now - for JUST that reason ...

even so I still get quite a few PMs that really should have been posts on the open forum ... I keep a "boilerplate" .TXT file handy that I can quickly Copy-and-Paste into a PM reply ... basically it says:

“thank you for considering me - but your question is a good one that should be posted on the open forum so that it can benefit other readers beside yourself ... I’ll be looking for it there and will be glad to contribute anything that I can to help” ...

and while we’re on this PM subject, I’d like to make the following point:

it is common courtesy (which transcends the internet) to thank and compliment people in PUBLIC - and to correct or criticize them in PRIVATE ...

too many people on the forum these days seem to have that backwards ...

and one more thing ... personally I’ve noticed that at least 10 or 15% of the PMs that I send are never confirmed as “read” by the recipient ... I’ve got a hunch that not everyone is seeing the flashing little dark green rectangle that means “you’ve got mail” ... I think that there is a setting to enable a special “pop up” window for that purpose - but if I remember correctly, that’s NOT the default setting ... I suspect that many people don’t have that enabled on their accounts ...

I never get PM's.... hmmmm

It may be due to the fact that I often give wrong answers ;)

But I am available for anyone just to chat with, we can talk about the Olympics :) I love watching just about any game...

Ron said:
I've been using the "cloak of invisibility" for years now - for JUST that reason ...

OK by looking at the pic below... now I have to figure out who it is... Ron? Kevin? or is it the new JesperMP

One name but 2 members....

untitled129733198.JPG

Greetings pscotty ...

we always try to make ladder logic as entertaining as possible around here ... glad you enjoyed it ...

and welcome to the forum ...