SLC Memory Footprint?

Duranthas

Lifetime Supporting Member
After reading the thread about Double Integers I was debating with a friend on exactly how much can a processor hold. I'm pretty sure you can have more integers than floating point numbers since an integer has a smaller footprint but how does one go about learning the limit on the quantity of each? I'm certain it isn't the size of the .RSS file since mine is 71k yet my SLC 5/04 says it has 16k memory. The only place I'm seeing it say how much "room" I have left is under controller properties it tells me how many words are used and how many are left. Is this what I'm looking for but just don't know it?
Thanks in advance for any response or a link to a nice manual explaining this further.
Duranthas

The RSS file will be larger because it includes stuff like Descriptions.

The words left is what you are looking for. It tells you how many words are taken up by instructions and how many are taken up by your data tables. I haven't looked, but I'm sure there will be word size in the instruction manuals. I usually just estimate sizes based on how large my current program is and how much it says I am using.

The .RSS file includes all your documentation so the size of the .RSS has no meaning to the size of your memory used. If you are like me I really like to document my progs so i include good discriptors and notes on my logical thoughts.
Yes the properties tells you how much memory you have left and used.

sort of related to "file size" discussion ...

after numerous saves with the same name, the RSS (or RSP) file can get REALLY big ... if the size becomes an issue (as in storage or transmitting by email, etc.) usually you can reduce the size of the file by simply saving it from RSLogix with a different file name ... example: save RON.RSS as RON1.RSS ... check to make sure that the resulting (much smaller) file still has everything that you need (it always has for me) - and then you can just rename the leaner meaner file to RON.RSS if you like ...

go to processors properties and check the used memory and left,
Do not bother about the RSS file size as it might have the rung discription and comments and sysmoble also..
Thanks,
Naag

Why does saving as the same name cause the file size to grow larger?

it's been several years since I noticed the effect and checked it out - so I'm going by memory here ... but ... if you open the RSS file in WordPad, you'll see a recurring pattern ... it appears (still going by memory) that the file keeps saving "old" versions of the program - in addition to the "latest" version ... I'd bet (more than pocket change - less than the rent) that the "growing file size" is due to the "Autorecovery" file that the software makes available whenever you fire things back up again after a sudden computer power failure ...

consider also that the RSLogix options are usually set for something like a 10 minute "Autosave" function ... that data has to go SOMEWHERE ...

next guess - saving the program with a new filename apparently lets the software purge out any unnecessary "Autorecovery" and/or "Autosave" information - and so it trims down the file size ...