Switching from SLC500 to Compactlogix

Rob3192

I am considering switching SLC 5/05 to compactlogix. Is this an easy transition? Is there software upgrade involve? Is the instruction set the same?

Thanks.

/

The transition is relatively painless.

There are some considerations.....

1. The I/O update in Compactlogix is Asynchronous (easily overcome if this is an issue).

2. The instruction sets are as "same" as they can be, most SLC instructions are there, the ones that aren't, you probably don't need.

3. You will need to buy RSLogix5000, RSLogix500 will not do compactlogix programming.

Is this an upgrade path you WANT to do, or NEED to do ? If you don't need to, why waste your time and money - wait until you have to upgrade.

In addition to daba's answers above, one the the biggest shifts is to tag based addressing, rather then data-table based addressing, but that should pose no real issues.

The one instruction that's not there but should be is SCP, but if you understand the basic math behind it, you can write your own.

hi experts iam new to ifix4.0 iam trying to communicate ifix scada with rs logix 5000 programming software via rs emulation 5000 software through opc server so please help me what are all the proceedures for opc server setting and how to communicate? (there is no plc )all communication through rs linx gate way and emulation is this possible?

hi experts iam new to ifix4.0 iam trying to communicate ifix scada with rs logix 5000 programming software via rs emulation 5000 software through opc server so please help me what are all the proceedures for opc server setting and how to communicate? (there is no plc )all communication through rs linx gate way and emulation is this possible?

Hi, venkatesh,

Posting your question at the end of a thread on an unrelated subject means it will probably not be seen by the people who could help you.

Start your own topic, making sure there is enough information in the subject line to identify what you need help with.

Dear Rob,
I was, and am a hard core SLC, PLC kinda guy. I like data tables. I don't like tags. About 18 months ago I started to have to convert myself to 5000 because my company brings in new machines with compacts in them. Theres no way around it. 5000 is the way of the future. That being said... Converting over was one of the hardest things I have ever had to learn. I supose it would have been a lot easier if I could have gotten some instruction first but the company I work for said here ya go get busy.
After a while I found this site and all the great folks here that are so helpful.
You should probably convert as 5000 continues to grow in popularity and I doubt that it will ever go back to 500.
The bigest thing for me was the fact that I had never dealt with tags. I don't care what anybody says tables are easier and much faster to work with. I hate having to create a tag for every little thing you want to do.
Anyway, my oppinion is that if your not versed in tags or object oriented thinking converting over will not be easy.