Ethernet Comms

erickovalle

Im trying to connect to a SLC505 and a Versaview CE 1000H.
I configured a ethernet driver over RSLinx with their respective IP addresses.
When I go to RSWho both members appear to be as found but a question mark is displayed telling that both are Unrecognized Devices.
I already downloaded the eds file for the 505 and intalled but didnt work
I am using rslinx classic gateway 2.54.00.11.
I can go online via DF1 with the controller but cannot get to the congiguration screen in the HMI.
Any idea?
REegards,
Erick

How did you install the EDS files ?

Just putting them in the EDS directory is not enough.

Also make sure RSLinx, SLC and VersaView are in the same IP subnet

Last edited:
I installed the EDS with the RSLinx/Tools/EDS Hardware Installation Tool.
All three items are on the same subnet.
The SLC and VV have comms ok beetween them.
The PC (RSLinx) is the one that sees them but as unrecognized devices.

I have seen this happen after changing IP addresses of a SLC to one that had been used by another device and was since removed. It was as if RSLinx was confused by a device with a new MAC ID occupying a spot that was formerly assigned to a different device.

I don't remember what cleared up the issue, but it may have been following a reboot or other network related issues we had that got my PC and it's table of addresses back in sync with reality. I am not an IT guru, so my interpretation is probably laughable to the real experts, but that's how it appeared to me anyway.

Another thing I did to myself recently was create a duplicate IP. The HMI had no porblem at all talking to my CompactLogix with a duplicate IP, but RSLinx would sometimes show it with a yellow question mark, and other times would let me go online, only to kick me offline after a few minutes.

You might want to try clearing your cache files in RSLinx. It is something that can solve several different problems and can't hurt anything (as far as I know). I've deleted those cache files at least a dozen times in the last few years and it often fixes problems for me, and has never cause me any known issues.

Shut down RSLinx first. If you're concerned about messing up your RSLinx driver and OPC/DDE Topics, make a backup of the RSLinx configuration. I never had any issues, but I have 16 drivers and some DDE Links I like to keep a rsx file for. To make a backup of your RSLinx config. go to Start, Program Files, Rockwell Software, RSLinx, RSLinx Backup and Restore Utility.

To clear the harmony cache files, go to:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon, sort by name and delete harmony.hrc and harmony.rsh

Your root drive letter may be different, but the path should be the same.

Let us know if this helps.

Paul