Micrologix 1000 Trainer Kit

goodoboy

Hello,

Its good to back. I am planning to purchase my own PLC and kit to begin learning with hands-on to increase my skill-set. This way I can gain experience and use this to show a potential employer what I am doing at home. I been on phone interviews and its tuff to get second interview if I don't have actual real world experience. This will be a start.

1. If I purchase ($269.00) the Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000 (model 1761-L10) - Discrete I/O kit here http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCTrainers.htm is there anyway I can add the analog (analog I/O) functionality to the PLC? I wanted to practice with analog I/O as well.

2. Can I use AB MicroLogix 1000 to write programs with different programming languages or IEC 61131-3? Or does this depends on the software RS-500.

I want to use this kit to practice some problems from the lab book on this website. This will be a good start I think. Along with relearning programming language and practicing the problems from www.thelearningpit.com. I currently have LogixPro downloaded on my laptop as a simulator.

Thank you all in advance

1. If I purchase ($269.00) the Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1000 (model 1761-L10) - Discrete I/O kit here http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCTrainers.htm is there anyway I can add the analog (analog I/O) functionality to the PLC? I wanted to practice with analog I/O as well.

No, you would have to upgrade the controller.
Just assign values to the internal integer registers ( N7:??) and use them as analog inputs in your logic.

2. Can I use AB MicroLogix 1000 to write programs with different programming languages or IEC 61131-3? Or does this depends on the software RS-500.

No.
Ladder logic only.

Thank you Mickey,

I have a few more questions, I'm still new and learning.

No, you would have to upgrade the controller.

When you say "upgrade controller" does that mean upgrade to a different PLC with analog functionality, like model 1761-L20AWA-5A shown on this page?
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239746/2159695/tab5.html

Just assign values to the internal integer registers ( N7:??) and use them as analog inputs in your logic.

Is this a task I can do instead of purchasing a PLC with analog I/O functionality? Or are you stating I can do this with discrete I/O only PLC to get the analog I/O functionality? Or is this something I do with a PLC that has analog I/O. I am not sure I understanding the reasoning for doing this. Can you please explain?

No.
Ladder logic only.

What AB PLC can be used for IEC 61131-3 programming languages? I can call the local AB vendor with this question as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

When you say "upgrade controller" does that mean upgrade to a different PLC with analog functionality, like model 1761-L20AWA-5A shown on this page?
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/1...9695/tab5.html

Yes.

Is this a task I can do instead of purchasing a PLC with analog I/O functionality? Or are you stating I can do this with discrete I/O only PLC to get the analog I/O functionality? Or is this something I do with a PLC that has analog I/O. I am not sure I understanding the reasoning for doing this. Can you please explain?

You can do this with the discrete I/O only PLC. You just use the integer ( N7:??) data type file to represent (simulate) an analog input. You can assign analog values to these registers.

What AB PLC can be used for IEC 61131-3 programming languages? I can call the local AB vendor with this question as well.

To get get something other then ladder logic your best choice would be to use the Controllogix/CompactLogix processors. They use RSLogix 5000 to program them. $$$

Thank you for reply

You can do this with the discrete I/O only PLC. You just use the integer ( N7:??) data type file to represent (simulate) an analog input. You can assign analog values to these registers.

I will have to research/think about what you are stating. Would you recommend just spending the extra money to buy a PLC kit with analog I/O? I am trying to weigh the disadvantages and advantages. Of course price plays a roll. But if I can simulate analog values, this would be nice on the price side, not sure on the learning side.

Thanks,

The Micrologix 1100 isn't much more expensive than the 1000. Comes w/ 2 analog inputs and ethernet onboard. Plus you can add on expansion I/O if you need more I/O to play with.

Actually the 1100 is quite a bit more than the 1000 that's bundled with the trainer, but hey Thanks for the Tip on the Emulation download.
I did not know that it was available. (y)

Oh, trainer, duh I never checked the link. Hmm, wonder if you could call them and ask for a ML1100 in place of the ML1000.

I just checked my local rep for prices heh. I build my own trainers :D

Thanks for replying

The Micrologix 1100 isn't much more expensive than the 1000. Comes w/ 2 analog inputs and ethernet onboard. Plus you can add on expansion I/O if you need more I/O to play with.

I was thinking of getting this http://www.plctrainer.net/100_2333.JPG which comes with one analog I/O and lessons and free software. I will have to install this on Windows XP Professional because the RSLinx does not install on Vista Home Edition according to the supplier.

This way I have true analog I/O to practice. A bit pricey at $799.00 but the PLC by itself is 600 bucks, so I think the kit is worth the investment.

Thanks

Oh, trainer, duh I never checked the link. Hmm, wonder if you could call them and ask for a ML1100 in place of the ML1000.

I just checked my local rep for prices heh. I build my own trainers :D

Good point. I will ask the supplier they can supply ML1100. Thanks

Building MicroLogix 1100 trainer

I am currently in Afghanistan wanting to build a MicroLogix 1100 trainer that can do all the material covered in the PLC Tutor books purchased on this site. I have a Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100 1763-L16AWA, a 1762-CBL-PM02 serial cable and can get my hands on as much CAT 5e wire as I need. That is about it for resources here.

My research time and knowledge is limited so I am hoping some folks here may be able to assist. What else do I need to make a trainer? How many do I need? I look at websites with trainers that have switches and lamps but I do not know which ones I need or could even use. Basically, can I get a parts list and suggestions of websites to get the stuff at?

Last edited:
I am currently in Afghanistan .....

My research time and knowledge is limited so I am hoping some folks here may be able to assist. What else do I need to make a trainer? How many do I need? I look at websites with trainers that have switches and lamps but I do not know which ones I need or could even use. Basically, can I get a parts list and suggestions of websites to get the stuff at?

Are you in the military ?

I am the owner of one of the sites listed in the links www.plctrainer.net

We offer discounts to members here (plctalk.net) and discounts to military

I have a bunch of extra parts and would be glad to help you get set up... send me a email [email protected]

We use BWA's for our trainers because they are 24v but I think I still have some 110v left

Best regards
Mark

greetings Randall – and welcome to the forum ...

Mark (geniusintraining) will be able to help you out with what you'll need – and he's very easy to get along with ...

just a suggestion:

as you move forward with your project, start a new thread of your own ... you'll generate a lot more interest – and get more help from the members that way – especially if you'll mention the terms "MicroLogix 1100" and "self training" in the title ...

in case you need any "how to" help from the forum, consider posting a copy of your RSS program file ... (you'll have to zip it first – forum rule) ... the more we know about your project the more detailed the help can be ...

I have a Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100 1763-L16AWA, a 1762-CBL-PM02 serial cable

so it sounds like you've already got the processor and the cable ... have you also downloaded the free RSLogix500 software – and RSLinx software - and got them both running on your computer? ... have you been able to write a "bare-bones-just-getting-started" program and download it to the processor yet? ... if I understand your situation, that would be the next logical step ... basic idea: get the PLC talking/communicating with the programming computer FIRST – then go on from there ...

stay safe ...

start-a-new-thread.PNG