RSlogix 500 File open failed

bob012

I have version 8.1 installed on my computer and when trying to open a copy of a program I'm getting

"Failed to open document" when you click ok you get

"File open failed - file is corrupt or user does not have access rights to open project"

Any help on how to get it open. The plant is stopped and we can't get onto our PLC man.

Hi it is a .rss file I know there is nothing wrong with the file because it is the file our plc guy normally uses. I have 8.1 installed but also tried to open in 7.1 both versions were activated. 7.1 was installed on vista and I install 8.1 on xp but same result either way.

I've seen messages like that lately when the file had been stored in a Windows Compressed folder - and then later extracted using WinZIP (not Windows) to do the extracting ...

how many bytes does the Windows directory show for the file? ... (you usually have to set the Windows directory for "Details" to see the file size) ... the ones that I've seen giving trouble showed "0 bytes" - until I used Windows (not WinZIP) to do the extraction ...

DISCLAIMER: this is written from memory ... I've done the steps several times and got it to work - but I might be describing the steps incorrectly here ...

question: can you attach the RSS file here? ... maybe we can get it to open for you ... note that you'll have to ZIP the file first (forum rule) ...

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.

The file was 337kb prior to zip and I have attached file

any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi it is a .rss file I know there is nothing wrong with the file because it is the file our plc guy normally uses. I have 8.1 installed but also tried to open in 7.1 both versions were activated. 7.1 was installed on vista and I install 8.1 on xp but same result either way.

Zip it, post it and I'll try to open it for you.

What version of RS500 are you running?

Also when it comes up that it is either corrupt or you do not have user access rights, how do you actually protect a file with user access rights?

I notice when you go to open the file it doesn't give you processor information or nothing.

If anyone knows of anything else to try/do I'm open to just about anything my boss is going nuts.:rolleyes:

He wants to go back to relays and push buttons. lol

looks like the file is toast ...

The plant is stopped and we can't get onto our PLC man.

have you tried to just "upload" from the PLC without the file? ... maybe you can get online that way - even though you won't have access to the file's documentation, you MIGHT be able to find out what's keeping the system stopped ...

I ran into this problem today with a file I received from a colleague via email. It turns out that Outlook somehow damaged, corrupted, or otherwise made unusable the file because it believed it to be an RSS feed. When the file was dropped in a zip and then emailed, it came through just fine.

This is probably just one of many potential causes for this issue, but hopefully this helps someone else struggling with this problem.

Do you happen to have any recent automatic backup files? The file name would look something like this "CRSHPLNT_BAK555.RSS". Maybe that would open for you? Then "upload/use file" if you can open it offline. Good luck. I know the feeling!