One Push Button: Please Please explain clearly

jamalshahid

I have seen many posts regarding start and stop using one push button but no one has explained what he is trying to do. Please whenever you write code explain step by step what are you are doing. so people like me who just started learning plc will know what you guys are doing.
Please explain me how to use one push button as start and stop. Thanks

If it is possible write code but explain each and every thing step by step. Thanks in advance.

You won't get the answer that easily. However, there are any number of ways to accomplish it. Here's a hint:

Increment a counter every time the button is pressed. If the counter is odd, power is on. If it's even, power is off. How do you determine if it's even or odd? I'm not saying o_O

this is the type of training aid we give people who wish to learn control systems.
I like to set this task for apprentices to use relay logic. - NO PLC
one N/O push button 3 to 5 relays (3 is harder) and 1 light
Press the button the light goes ON
Press it again and the Light goes Off.
Simple ???
after they master this we chalenge them with a PLC program
Counter - one answer - there are others

the key is to write the state of each process.
Note - Initial Button is in the open state (1)
the button being pushed to a closed state (2)
and released to an Open state (3)

and so on

I don't know whether i am right or wrong. but if you guys are helping someone than help that person to the end. I am telling you i am new to plcs. Every one in their engineering has studied plcs.

My request is if you dont want to write code for me thats fine. I am not saying do homework for me. I am jsut saying tell me in simple way like a kid how stuff works.

that first we have to use normally open contact then we have to use normally closed contact. Tell the blind person the complete way.

One problem is that the concept 'flip-flop' or 'toggle' (one input action causing an output state to alternate) has SO MANY different ways of being created in different PLCs and even within the same PLC. Everyone seems to have their own favorite method.

Reviewing the MANY threads on the subjects of 'flip-flop' and 'toggle' will illustrate what I mean. The quantity of these historical threads make any more discussion somewhat pointless unless someone has a truly novel addition. So Mickey's suggestion to use the Search feature is probably the most helpful suggestion.

It's almost as unproductive a question as 'what is the best PLC?'

Sir i dont know what you are trying to say. My simple question is teach me how to use one start and stop button. don't confuse me please if you dont want to help. thanks

ok =
the principal is -
1.Normally OPEN Push Button - when released - no power through it.
2.push the button - this closes and lets power through.
- the light now turns on - or 'Starts'
3.when you release the button - no power through the button
- the light remains on - 'Still Runs'
4. Press the button again - power through the button
- Light turns off 'Stops'
5. release the button - no power through the button
ready to start again

as I had said it is a matter of 'STATES'
the code is the logic steps
one of the previous post's has suggested
1. button pressed
2. light on
3. button released
4. ready to turn light off
5. button pressed again
6. light off
7. button released again
8. ready to restart at 1.

the counter method - add 1 when button pressed for the first time
reset counter when counter is equil to 1 and the button is pressed again
BUT not until the button has been released

But write this in a boolean logic expression first - for your refference.

Last edited:
Sir this is not attitude. I am suffering badly. I spent 5 hours on this. i know the logic behind this but unable to translate that in code. i am sorry if i am little bit ****ed off.