RSLogix 5000: PID Instruction Tutorial?

OOPer

I am trying to control a few analog valves based on their respective analog flow meters to a set-point. I just realized that RSLogix supports a PID instruction to do this efficiently. Can someone point me to a good literature that explains this instruction better than the general help in RSLogix?

Thanks

Well, I'm reading through the last link I posted, and I have a few things I'd like to correct/clarify....

Step 4 - Control Action : IMHO they have this wrong. A positive result of the two equations (SP-PV and PV-SP) will drive the output ON, So SP-PV (Setpoint higher than Process Variable) would be positive in,for example, a heating application, when you need to turn the heat on to raise the PV to the SP.
This is a Forward-Acting loop, and the most common, and used in heating, flow control, etc.
A Reverse-Acting loop (PV-SP), puts the output ON to drive the PV down to SP, like you would need to do for cooling, or some flow control applications, e.g. blending or dosing.

Step 6 - Loop Update Time : They say this is not critical in most applications. I beg to differ - it is one of the most critical parameters you need to set.
Not only do you need to set this parameter accordingly, you need to make sure the PID instruction itself is scanned at that same interval.
A PID instruction does calculations based on time - i.e. "what has happened since I was last scanned" - getting a mismatch between instruction scans and what you put in the loop update time will make your PID difficult to tune, and sometimes unstable.
Best way to do this in Logix5000 is to put your PID instructions in a Periodic Task.

possibly more to come as I read on......

More...

In the PID Data Map (page 7), they have given a textual description to .DVPA and .DVNA .....

.DVPA Deviation Alarmed High
.DVNA Deviation Alarmed Low

"High" and "Low", in this context, are badly used. The deviation alarms are driven from the error value, so "Positive" (.DVPA) and "Negative" (.DVNA), and "High" and "Low" get reversed when using a Reverse-Acting control loop.

Yes, I did google it, and I did see the article from Simple Solvers. Looked too verbose with out any real examples. I was hoping for a "good/better" tutorial, not asking you guys to explain it to me in this thread.

That being said, thanks for correcting that tutorial. I am going to read through it and see if it makes any sense to me.

suggestion: set it up "as best you can" and then post your entire ACD file (you'll have to zip it first - forum rule) ...

we'll be glad to offer advice if necessary ...

Last edited:
hi my name is shivkumar
...i have one problem repleted to factory talk view .i want to setup history of trend and save it in data log model using odbc data source and visualize in trends. plz help me i am new in this field.
thank you