diagram

jshook15

I need to know how to draw a diagram of a discrete 120 VAC output module to be used to control a 230 VDC solenoid valve. using a interposing relay

no, I sure do not. It is a problem i am having to answer for one of my classes i am taking. I am not sure how to show a drawing of this

Well, look up the connection diagram for the output module you are using. It will show you where the 120V AC "hot" connection (almost always labeled "L1" for Leg One) is made and where the 120V AC "neutral" (labeled "N" or sometimes "L2") is made. It will also show the pin assignments for the Output circuits on the module.

The traditional way to do schematics of a parallel circuit like this is the "power rail" method, where you show L1 as a vertical line on the left, and N as a vertical line on the right, and show the components and circuits that are connected between them.

If you have both 120V and 230V AC circuits, you usually use two power rail diagrams, either on separate sheets or next to one another.

Industrial control schematics usually use NEMA or IEC symbols; if you're in the USA stick with NEMA symbols. A control relay is always a circle, usually with "R1" or something in the middle. A set of contacts is a pair of parallel lines.... ---| |--- for a normally open contact, and ---|/|--- for a normally closed contact.

Spend a little time reading over Wikipedia or your textbook about the basics of relays, memorizing the meanings of acronyms like "SPST", "SPDT", "DPDT" etc and drawing out how they physically work.

See the attached example. The voltage of the rails is specified at the destination arrow at the top of each rail. The relay coils are cross referenced to the relay contacts by tag name. Below each relay contact is the line number where the coil for that contact can be found. The line numbers of the contacts are also shown with the coil. Normally I would place rails of different voltages on different pages but they are shown together here for simplicity. The example is incomplete but it should give you the general idea.

Last edited:
I'd follow Alarics example, (Because I love ACADE)
Slightly off our question but...
... Here's a huge one for ya that I think could get you way ahead of the rest. Download the student version of autocad electrical 2012. It's free and fully functional for students.
I don't think your teacher would expect a full standards based drawing with component markings, cross referencing and wire numbers on such as simple homework request! :) And it's most likely quicker to generate that than draw your simple circuit by hand with no markings.

@TConnolly

Hi, I am a novice when it comes to PLC, but trying to teach myself PLC as a possible career change.
Now regarding the answer you provided, I went through it. One question though, why do you say the example is incomplete. It looks okay to me. Am I missing something here?

And thanks for posting the answer, clears lot of doubts.

One question though, why do you say the example is incomplete?
Some things missing:
1. The reference drawing or location for the 120 volt power supply.
2. Descriptions of the CR0000 to CR0002 interposing relays on lines 302, 303, and 304.
3. Descriptions of the Solenoids SOL353, SOL 355, and SOL 357 on lines 353, 355, and 357.

There may be others, but I got tired.

Some things missing:
1. The reference drawing or location for the 120 volt power supply.
2. Descriptions of the CR0000 to CR0002 interposing relays on lines 302, 303, and 304.
3. Descriptions of the Solenoids SOL353, SOL 355, and SOL 357 on lines 353, 355, and 357.

There may be others, but I got tired.

Thanks you, I got your point. But logically it does explain the purpose though, right?