AIC converter/Redlion data logger communication questions

matthew1

Hello!

I have a data-logging project and I’m stuck on the communication.

It is a 3 node DH485 network consisting of
2-ml1500
1-pv1000
2-AIC units

I’m planning on adding a third AIC unit for the red lion logger.

I need to make sure my understanding of the AIC unit is correct first. There are three ports on the unit.

1- DH-485 phoenix connector
1- DB-9 RS232
1- RS-232 8 pin Mini DIN

All of the above ports are an rs232/rs-485 protocol depending on the number of devices connected. 232 point to point 485 multiple devices via handshaking.

(again this is what I know if Im wrong or not quite right please correct me.)

I have a bench test assembled and trying to test. The bench test consists of an ml1500 LRP series C and a Red lion data logger connected together via AIC converter.

Port 0 on the ml is configured for dh485 and is connected to port 2 (8 pin mini din) on the AIC.

The data logger is plugged into port 1 (DB-9 rs-232) on the AIC to the rs-485 port on the logger. The cable used for the connection I made from an example on red lions web site. (CBLGEN01 is the example see attached.)

I used the cross reference on the web site for the cable. However I might not be thinking right. Link to cross-reference http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/DeviceDrivers/G3/AllenBradley.html

The RS-485 port on the logger is configured as a DH485 master.
Port mode- 2 wire RS485
Station number 0

I cannot get any communication between the ml1500 and the red lion unit that I can tell. I’m not sure if I have a handshake issue or something else. The Tx and Rx lights are on. The red Rx led on the logger is solid and the green Tx led if flashing.

Maybe I need to use a 1747-AIC link to tie directly into the DH 485 network?

Thank you in advance!

Hello!

I have a data-logging project and I’m stuck on the communication.

It is a 3 node DH485 network consisting of
2-ml1500
1-pv1000
2-AIC units

I’m planning on adding a third AIC unit for the red lion logger.

I need to make sure my understanding of the AIC unit is correct first. There are three ports on the unit.

1- DH-485 phoenix connector
1- DB-9 RS232
1- RS-232 8 pin Mini DIN

All of the above ports are an rs232/rs-485 protocol depending on the number of devices connected. 232 point to point 485 multiple devices via handshaking.

(again this is what I know if Im wrong or not quite right please correct me.)

I have a bench test assembled and trying to test. The bench test consists of an ml1500 LRP series C and a Red lion data logger connected together via AIC converter.

Port 0 on the ml is configured for dh485 and is connected to port 2 (8 pin mini din) on the AIC.

The data logger is plugged into port 1 (DB-9 rs-232) on the AIC to the rs-485 port on the logger. The cable used for the connection I made from an example on red lions web site. (CBLGEN01 is the example see attached.)

I used the cross reference on the web site for the cable. However I might not be thinking right. Link to cross-reference http://www.redlion.net/Support/Downloads/DeviceDrivers/G3/AllenBradley.html

The RS-485 port on the logger is configured as a DH485 master.
Port mode- 2 wire RS485
Station number 0

I cannot get any communication between the ml1500 and the red lion unit that I can tell. I’m not sure if I have a handshake issue or something else. The Tx and Rx lights are on. The red Rx led on the logger is solid and the green Tx led if flashing.

Maybe I need to use a 1747-AIC link to tie directly into the DH 485 network?

Thank you in advance!

A couple of things stand out to me. I wouldn't set up the Red Lion to Station 0, as RSLinx Defaults to that Address.

You don't mention the exact Red Lion unit you are using. However, if you have it set up for 2 Wire RS-485, this is incorrect. Your connection to the 1761-NET-AIC is RS-232, with DH-485 Protocol.

Which Red Lion unit are you using, and which Port on the Red Lion are you plugged into.

Stu....

It's helpful to distinguish between the electrical communication standard and the communication protocol.

RS-232 and RS-485 are signalling standards; they describe the physical voltages and transceiver circuits.

DH485 is a protocol; it describes the timing and the addressing and the commands going back and forth between devices.

DH485 can run both on RS-232 wiring and on RS-485 wiring. Many other protocols are like this; Modbus and ASCII are just a couple of common ones.

Both the DSub-9 and the Mini-DIN8 plugs on the 1761-NET-AIC are physically RS-232 ports, so you must connect them to other physical RS-232 ports.

I think all you need to do is connect the Red Lion side of the cable to an RS-232 port and configure that port for "DH485 Master".

What exact Red Lion data logger device are you using ?

Stu and I were evidently writing our posts simultaneously :D

He points out an important bit; a typical small DH485 network is:

Node 0 RSLinx
Node 1 SLC/MicroLogix
Node 2 PanelView/HMI Device

You can speed up the DH485 token rotation algorithm by limiting the "Maximum Node Number" value on devices that support that feature. As long as you've reserved Node 0 for RSLinx Classic, you won't have trouble getting online with the network.

thank you for the replies!

to answer youre qustions.

model DSPGT000 data logger.
Iam using the RS485 port configured for DH485 master

I will change the node adress of the unit to 5 and change to the RS232 port and configure it for DH485 master. when im done i will post progress.

Thank you for youre help!

I changed the device over to the RS-232 port and set it as a DH485 master. node 3

The ml1500 port 0 is still set to RS485 node address 1

I still have a comm error. As far as i can tell iam not transmitting data.

Any ideas fellas?

Switch pins 2 and 3 on the DB9 side, or put a "Null Modem Adapter" inline with the serial cable.

The Red Lion pinout for CBLGEN01 looks like it's intended to connect to a "DCE" type port, while the port on a PC, a SLC/MicroLogix, and the Net-AIC are always connected as "DTE" type ports.

switched pins two and three and the TX light on the AIC came on and started flashing. I believe you were dead on sir. im still not logging data from the plc unfortunatly. i looked back through the logging set up i couldnt find anything that would prevent the log from happening.

Thank you for youre help so far!

There are quite a few Red Lion Crimson software experts here on the Forum, and more will be logging on in the morning.

ZIP up the Crimson database file (*.cd3, for Crimson 3) and post it to this thread and maybe somebody will see an easy change to the data logging application.

Thank you for youre help so far ken im not at work today. when i return to work i will zip and post both the .rss file for the ml 1500 and the .cd3 for the data logger.

Found out the problem. The cable I made had a broken wire. I ordered a cable made by redlion and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again for everyones help. Now i have to start on the program. Sure I might have some future questions. :p