getting into a panelview plus

kchap

our purchasing guy here at work ordered a new (used) panelview plus 700 (keypad type) off of ebay to replace one that we lost a week ago. it works fine, but i can't get into it. the application is for a production line of a major auto manufacturer (which makes me nervous about the panelview's source). it is set to load on start-up, and it doesn't have a button to exit the application. i know that i *should* be able to push the "default" button on the logic module to access maintenance mode, but that does not work. i can't find any other information on accessing either the maintenance screen or the setup program.

i also can't see it in rslinx - i've tried both serial and ethernet (thought i'd take a chance and see if it was addressed 10.x.x.x).

I posted in this thread about making a batch file that will copy the MER's that are on the terminal to a flash card and download a new one. I think running it should help you out.

After it backs up all the files that are on the terminal (to the flash card), it should delete all of them off the terminal. If you have a new MER on the root of the card, it should copy it to the terminal. When it boots it will try to boot to the old application, but it should fail since it will no longer be on the terminal.

edit: This should be done with a CompactFlash card, not USB. It specifically uses the location for the CF card.

Last edited:
Dustin's method will work to remove the Runtime file.

After that, you'll need to reset RSLinx Enterprise to defaults (which will enable both the serial and Ethernet ports) and set an IP address manually. You can do both through the Configuration Mode menus.

Dustin's method will work to remove the Runtime file.

After that, you'll need to reset RSLinx Enterprise to defaults (which will enable both the serial and Ethernet ports) and set an IP address manually. You can do both through the Configuration Mode menus.

Good call.

Great, thanks for the update. It's tricky on the older firmwares where there is no box to bail out to the menu. I suppose the other option might have been to update the firmware.

I use that batch file whenever I am forced to update a PVP that only has a serial connection. It's much faster than trying to download it over serial.

there is a trick most do now know of
When Panel View plus first powers up
a Small square white box is visible in the lower left
hand corner of the touch area, if you are quick and press
that small white box, panel view will boot into configuration mode

asterof said:
there is a trick most do now know of
When Panel View plus first powers up
a Small square white box is visible in the lower left
hand corner of the touch area.....

dmroeder said:
This is a good point, but i dont think it was available on earlier firmware.

No it was not available on earlier firmware (can't remember when it was introduced), nor is the "trick" available on "keypad only" models.

RA have provided a solution, works with CF or USB media.

Read through this thread.... Posts #9 and #10 applicable.

You can also use a USB keyboard, Ctrl, Alt, .... forgotten it, read the thread, dmroeder posted in it, with the correct key combination.

Last edited:
No it was not available on earlier firmware (can't remember when it was introduced), nor is the "trick" available on "keypad only" models.

RA have provided a solution, works with CF or USB media.

Read through this thread.... Posts #9 and #10 applicable.

You can also use a USB keyboard, Ctrl, Alt, .... forgotten it, read the thread, dmroeder posted in it, with the correct key combination.

I accidentally dug up an old post when trying to find something that I had posted in the past. I had several tabs open with different threads and posted in the wrong one!