Controllogix Gateway

Green Man

Guys

I am currently working on an application that requires me to share data on a site that currently has a number of SLC 5/04 plcs with my task being to integrate a new Compactlogix L32E. The proposed scheme is to connect via the local ethernet port on the CLX to a Control Logix Gateway, map via a routing table to a DHRIO card and thus communicate via DH+. So far I have the routing table configured and am able to drill down into each PLC from RSLinx, however no sucess has been had with setting up MSG instructions in either direction. I have a tag configured in the CLX for mapping etc.

The SLC message returns 'Target Does Not Repsond' with messaging from CLX> SLC making no sense at all. Surprised they have not added some way of setting the rout by drilling down in RSLinx.

As the site is exisitng it is likely that I will have to message from either the SLC>CLX or CLX>SLC depending on site restrictions.

Any help/ guidance would be appreciated as at the moment I am stumped and Rockwell support is pretty slow.

Green Man

You have the routing table configured, how? Do you have a screen shot?

I don't have a DHRIO in front of me right now but the way I remember doing it in order to route the DH+ 5/04s MSG instructions you had to set up a bridge then "Link ID's" for each CompactLogix (or whatever Ethernet PLC) by IP address and slot number (0 for CPLX) in the DHRIO routing table. The you would have to set up the MSG blocks as Remote, PLC5, using the Bridge ID and the specific Link ID for the PLC you set up in the routing table of the DHRIO for the PLC you want to MSG.

If you have the option, it might be FAR easier to MSG from your L32E using the full CIP path of the remote SLC 5/04s. It would be a long path but if you can see it in RSLinx you should be able to drill down and pick it in Logix.

Edit: You shouldn't need any routing table for option 2, this is pretty much a "Plug and Play" situation.

Edit 2: I may be talking out of my "you know what"... Just looked in Logix and you can drill down paths only with devices you've added to your AOP's. Maybe that part is more complicated than just figuring out the CIP path..

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Will try and get a screen shot, however the routing table has been configured using an example from the knowledge base, as recommedned by rockwell support. The big issue seems that as you say its all by bridging by link IDs and although I can think I have set all link IDs I am a little puzzled as to where the Link ID is set for the CLX. It seems to me that data transfer is not occuring across the backplane.

Also, I may be being a bit dumb, but what do you mean by AOPs?

AOP=Add-on-Profile, devices (drives, communication modules, etc.) you can add to the "I/O" configuration section of your project.

I have been digging into this same issue recently and have found Rockwell KB 16778 helpful and I in the end had to have the PLC5 to run the message.

The bit I struck with my SLC5/04 is the link ID,
For the SLC to initiate a message it has to have a Link ID, and I think all the SLC's need the same ID on the same channel .

The default Link ID seems to be 0 for PLC 5, and link ID 2 for the SLC5/04 the DH+ Routing table needs to share this Link ID

In your PLC/SLC look in channels , channel 1 for the link ID

I can't confirm that the above is correct, but its the way I read it.

Because you have access over EtherNet/IP to the 1756-DHRIO, which is directly connected to the DH+ network, you do not need to use Routing Tables or Remote Messaging.

Instead, you will aim your CompactLogix MSG instruction at the 1756-DHRIO module itself, and then let it process the DH+ message.

That’s what the “DH+” option is for in the MSG configuration window. All you need to do is specify the channel A or B port of the DHRIO module and the DH+ Node Number of the target SLC-5/04 controller.

The DHRIO processes the DH+ message and returns the result over EtherNet/IP to the CompactLogix.

The hardest part is just the CIP Path; you need to go out of the CompactLogix, to the 1756-ENBT/EN2T on the 1756 chassis, then to the backplane, then to the Slot of the 1756-DHRIO. This is pretty straightforward in CIP Path syntax once you get the hang of it.

In my example screenshot below, the 1756-ENBT is at 192.168.2.10, and the 1756-DHRIO is in Slot 3 of the chassis.

Test_DHPlus_MSG.png

Guys

Thanks for your help and advice so far, yes I agree that I if I can get my head round the MSG from the CLX and CIP configuration this would be the better route, however as the site is exisiting with at least three SLC to modify the problem maybe access for any required shutowns etc., this may ultimately apply to the CLX so need to be prepared with all options possible prepared.

Now some progress has been made and I am able to read from the CLX to the SLC, however when writing the other way I get a message 'Target Node Does Not Respond Because Access Denied'.

Get this solved and I think the problem is cracked.

Any thoughts or ideas!!

Green Man