pH sensor with PLC!

Dan, your theory is correct, but I would give you a C on practical application. This is a student project - no money for an expensive pH sensor, and anyway the real objective is to open a valve when rainwater becomes acidic (it should never be caustic unless there is some terrible calamity and in that case we would all have bigger problems). Demonstrating a rainwater system is more important to this project than demonstrating the correct sensor. The student knows that, given enough money and time, the proper sensor could be installed. A conductivity-measuring sensor will indicate acidity for the project demostration just as well at $0 cost (See my proof pictures in Post #39).
lance can you send me step by step to make my own ph sensor,please i need this too, please send me e mail : [email protected]

i use omron plc cp1e-na20dt-d( there are 2 input analog)

Mamentozz, complete details with pictures are located in Post #39 of this thread. If you can't go back to it, here is a link:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=69735&page=4
i had seen post #39 before, do we need ph phrobe?
i see from other site, they use phrobe to make their own ph sensor?
and the i see this site :http://malangelectronic.com/jual-sensor-ph-sensor-probe-ph-harga-murah/

in your opinion , that ph sensor on that site can i use for input PLC? plese help me brother

in your opinion , that ph sensor on that site can i use for input PLC?
If your PLC has a milivolt analog input module, then you can use a manufactured pH sensor as a PLC input.

Usually the milivolt analog module is available as a Thermocouple or Milivolt input device, with a provision to switch from Thermocouple to the milivolt input range. The Thermocouple/Milivolt modules are generally very expensive.

If you are using the pH sensor for a serious dedicated enterprise, then it may be worth the investment. If it is for a one-time project demonstration, I would just use the copper electrodes that really measure the conductivity. As pH rises, the conductivity between two electodes becomes greater.

Last edited:
If your PLC has a milivolt analog input module, then you can use a manufactured pH sensor as a PLC input.

Usually the milivolt analog module is available as a Thermocouple or Milivolt input device, with a provision to switch from Thermocouple to the milivolt input range. The Thermocouple/Milivolt modules are generally very expensive.
my plc is omron cp1e, "The analog input signal ranges are 0 to 5 V, 1 to 5 V, 0 to 10 V, -10 to +10 V, 0 to 20 mA, and 4 to
20 mA. The resolution is 1/6,000. The open-circuit detection function is activated in the ranges of 1 to
5 V and 4 to 20 mA." that's all from data sheet,

If you are using the pH sensor for a serious dedicated enterprise, then it may be worth the investment. If it is for a one-time project demonstration, I would just use the copper electrodes that really measure the conductivity. As pH rises, the conductivity between two electodes becomes greater.
yeah, it's for one time project, but i wanna compare with the probe and without the probe , how the measurement.
is that the phrobe in that link compatible for my device (plc cp1e, has 2 analog input)?

Is that the phrobe in that link compatible for my device (plc cp1e, has 2 analog input)?
No, with the smallest resolution being 0 to 5 volts, the 0.001 to 0.010 volt output of the pH probe will not be high enough to read with your Omron CP1E PLC. At best, you might be able to detect when the pH probe is connected or disconnected by the very small change in the 0-5 volts input range.

You might search and find a signal conditioner (also called a signal isolator) that has a 0-20 milivolt input range and a 4-20 mA volt output range. This Omega DRG-SC-DC DC Input Signal Conditioner is one example of what you need to input the probe 0-10 milivolt signal into your Omron PLC.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/DRG-SC.html

This Acromag signal transmitter might also work.
http://www.acromag.com/products/sig...nverters-transmitters/dc-voltage-current-in-2

Last edited:
No, with the smallest resolution being 1 to 5 volts, the 0.001 to 0.010 volt output of the pH probe will not be high enough to read with your Omron CP1E PLC. At best, you might be able to detect when the pH probe is connected or disconnected by the very small change in the 0-5 volts input range.

You might search and find a signal conditioner (also called a signal isolator) that has a milivolt input range and a 0-10 volt output range.
hmm, i see , that isn't option,
how about this link http://anugrahinstrumen.indonetwork.co.id/2939420
is that compatible for my plc?

how about this link http://anugrahinstrumen.indonetwork.co.id/2939420
is that compatible for my plc?
Yes, that transmitter should work, if you get the optional pH electrode that works with it. Otherwise you might not get the correct milivolts into the transmitter. It converts the milivolt pH signal into a 4-to-20 miliamps signal, so use the 4-20 miliamp range and setting of your Omron analog input.

You will need a 90-to-260 volt AC power supply for the Lutron transmitter.

Last edited:
Yes, that transmitter should work, if you get the optional pH electrode that works with it. Otherwise you might not get the correct milivolts into the transmitter. It converts the milivolt pH signal into a 4-to-20 miliamps signal, so use the 4-20 miliamp range and setting of your Omron analog input.

thank you for your information, first i will make my own ph sensor, and i will be back here soon

hey lancie , i already make it, but output ampere only seen 1.5 mA, how's it? is that good? is that can coneect to plc, i test it in normal water and got only 1.5 mA, how's your opinion?

Last edited:
I assume that you are talking about a home-made electrode put into water. Yes, the 1.5 mA is about right for that. As you make the water more acidic (add vinegar), the current should rise slightly. The 1.5 mA current is too low to use as an input to a 4-to-20 mA PLC analog input.

You could use a signal conditioner to boost the 1.5 mA up to the 4 to 20 range, but the best solution is to buy the Lutron transmitter and pH probe, that will perform the scaling up for you.

To increase the current output from your home-made electrode, you can reduce the distance between the prongs. Less distance through water = lower electrical Resistance = higher miliamperes.

To increase the current output from your home-made electrode, you can reduce the distance between the prongs. Less distance through water = lower electrical Resistance = higher miliamperes.

hi lancie , how about make electrical circuit for increase the current? but i dont know the electrical circuit? can you help me to make electrical circuit for increasing ampere.
and what is the suitable/good ampere for ph 7?
can i say 4mA = ph 7, or i say 12 mA= ph 7

sorry sir, when i tried again, i got the output 11.2 mA for aqua drink(i think it almost ph=7),
and now i dont know how to programming analog input from cx programmer,
if ph =7, valve will be open
if ph <7 valve will be closed
could u help me please?

Last edited: