S5 115U PG Port pin out

gcere

Hello all

I am looking for a description of the pin out of the PG port in a S5 115U Siemens PLC.

It is for make an interfase, because I have some contradictions in some schemes that I have found.

Thank you very much.

The programming port of the S5 systems is for 20mA current loop, NOT RS232. Siemens supply several adapters, which usually include:

DB25 to PC
20mA converter
DB15 for PLC connection

the CP943/944 have a second port (SI 2) which you could use, and this will run RS232

The only details I have for the CPU port wiring is attached:

;) M

cpu944_1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is field cabling from plc to control desks for the Progamming PCs.
Pins 6&7 are pair and 2&9. In Siemns PG, usually PG is active for both current loops Rx and Tx, but if you use some RS232/CurrentLoop convertter you can select who is active.
If you use external CurrentLoop convertter, there could be 60mA and/or 20 mA selection. With 60mA you can use more lenght cabling.

br Seppo

s5pgconnection.jpg

Thak you Moebius and Seppo.

This information is for make an interface and to confirm some pin connection that I was not sure.

The last thing to answer is if the DB15 connections are the same in all S5 PLCs, in particular in the 115U.

Best regards

gcere

Back at the office, so now I can answer.

The pinout for the 15-pin S5 programming port (some older devices hav a 25-pin programming port) is as follows:
  1. Shield
  2. RxD- (the cathode of the optocoupler LED)
  3. 5.2V power supply
  4. 24V power supply taken from the bussystem
  5. Ground
  6. TxD+ (the collector of the transistor)
  7. TxD- (the emitor of the transistor)
  8. Shield
  9. RxD+ (the anode of the optocoupler LED)
  10. Ground from the 24V power supply on the bussystem
  11. 20mA source for transmit channel
  12. Ground
  13. 20mA source for receive channel
  14. 5.2V power supply
  15. Ground
    [/list=1]
    A scheme how to connect can be found on this site . The interface can be used as active or passive, dependant if you do or don't use the 20mA sources. Only one device on a link can be active (mostly the programmer), the other has to be passive.

There are some differences between different families of the S5 PLC's. One I know of is that on most PLC's the 5.2V power source can drive an older PG605 programmer, while this is impossiblle on the S5-90U. The current rating of this PLC is to low for this purpose.

Seppo, what you are doing (tying current sources in parallel) seems somewhat fishy to me. Could you explain what that scheme you included is intended for?

Kind regards,

Thank you

In other hand, I have dowload a S5 V3.0 software from plcman web page.
I have run this software in a pentium Notebook, it runs ok.
But for communications proposes I should need a TTY AS511 interface.
This interface I sopose is a build in one, because in an old Siemens "notebook" to program a S5 who have this software, the communications are from a db25 port like a printer port (female db25).

If I make the RS232 - TTY inteface, will it work in a pentium notebook connecting the RS232 - TTY interfase in the db9 port?

Best regards

PD The main objet of all is to have an alternative to program S5 because of the old Siemens "Notebook"

The RS232-TTY or current-loop converter makes a conversion from a voltage level to a current level. The data the computer sends to the PLC is translated from voltage pulses to current pulses. For the opposite direction the translation is from current to voltage. In the programming devices from Siemens, such as PG710, PG730 and the newer PG720 or PG740, this converter is built in to the computer and uses some free pins on the 25-pole RS232 connector.

If you make a converter yourself, such as the converter to be found on the plcman website, you have to connect it between the RS232 connector (be it 9-pole or 25-pole) and the 15-pole connector at the PLC side. You could make the converter with a 25-pole connector and use a 9 to 25 serial adapter. It should work wit a Pentium, I even used a homebuild converter on a Pentium 4 machine running Windows 2000.

Kind regards,

Ok, but the software I have, indicates as a interfase the: TTY AS511, only. I do not know if it will recongice the serial port if I use the interface.

That's normal. It means OR the built-in current-loop interface OR a converter connected to COM1. Only if you want to use a baudrate other than 9600baud or COM2, you need to adjust the interface settings.

Kind regards,

Is the S5 current loop on the PG port the same as "Bell System Specification 43401" current loop?

I came across a quantity of Telebyte Model 74 "Short Haul Modems" for $5 each at a local surplus dealer, and on closer look all they are is RS232-to-Current Loop convertors. The instruction sheet says the current loop side meets "Bell System Specification 43401".

Hi Fred,

the signal at the PLC side is standard 20mA current loop (also referred to as TTY), and several devices - including Black Box and beckhoff converters - are suitable for the S5.

the Telebyte model 72 and 74 (and others) are RS232 extenders, and I can't find anything on the spec sheet that suggests 20mA loop - this typically goes to 1km on twisted pair.

see - http://www.telebyteusa.com/catalog/manuals/m72a.htm

Hope this helps (y) M

Yes, the 74 is an RS232 extender (aka Short Haul Modem) but it SEEMS like the technology they're using to 'extend' RS232 is just converting it to current loop for the distance and back to RS232 at the other end. The instruction sheet says "Asynchronous, full duplex on two twisted pairs, balanced current loop via optical couplers. Conforms to Bell Tariff 3081 and PUB 43401". To me, this SEEMS the same as PG port comms.

But, is it? Does current loop = current loop or were there different 'flavors'? Is Bell 43401 the "standard" current loop aka TTY? I'm inclined to believe so but I don't want to risk blowing out the PG port until I know more.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if what Bell called standard in the USA differs from a DIN standard as used by Siemens.