PLC5 conversion

Tmm2112

I have just converted a PLC5 to Logix. I used an L5X export file to do a search/replace to convert the CLX array for Input and Output to the PLC5 equivalent and then a tags export file S/R to move all the tag names to those bits.

If I'm not being clear, what I mean is that in PLC5 the I/O data table is in octal, so you have I:005, I:007, I:010...etc. During the translation process, this is converted to a single dimension array that is in decimal, and the 8's and 9's are not skipped. So the PLC5 input word I:010 gets shoved into the array word I[8] just because it's the eighth word in the list of words. This also occurs at the bit level but it's not as big a problem. Maintenance personnel tend to want these addresses matching because of their familiarity with PLC5. Of course I'm talking about a system in which the 1771 I/O is remaining intact.

Does anyone know of a quicker/more efficient way of doing this than search/replace of the L5X and CSV files?

Thanks

You are pretty much going to have to knuckle down and do the search and replace if you want to stay with he basic program created by the conversion tool.

That said, RSLogix5000 offers better options, but it takes a little more work on your part than just importing a converted program. I suggest you think about using tag name aliases and delete the bit array created by the conversion tool. For example, if a flow switch is wired to I:0/7 and its is identified on the P&ID drawing as FSH-368 then you would create an alias tag FSH_368_HiLevel or FSH_368_I0007_HiLevel and use that tag name in your program. This makes your program self documenting and since tag names are downloaded to the PLC it will prove helpful for anyone else who comes along later and services the equipment.

I agree with TConnolly, I have Attached the Manual Method I use it Takes a few hours but gets the job done. I have used this method to do 1000's of rungs. It's a Task no doubt.

:confused: I have been informed my Steps were out of order. I Aligned procedure again. Sorry for the confusion. Not only is this painful to do. But it's painful to explain how to get thru the painful part. 🔨